2nd all grain on new HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontap@home

Reaction score
I had made some modifications to my boil kettle manifold. I fashioned a figure eight out of my 3/4" SS mesh. I also soldered the joints instead of trying to use a slit with a SS clamp. This worked great. Was able to pump almost all of the wort out of the boil kettle.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of a Heineken lager clone. Est OG of 1.051.
I mashed in at 154 degree f. Started my slow recirculation and maintained this temp for 90 minutes. Then I sparged at 170 degrees.

Started the boil with 6.25 gallons of wort. Boiled for 60 minutes & ran through the plate chiller. OG was right at 1.052 & I hit the primary with just over 5 gallons.

The brew went smoother & I felt more comfortable. All in all a good brew day. Now I just hope it taste as good as my partial mashes did. :mug:

I'd love to hear about your Heineken lager clone recipe, if you want to share.

Thanks.

brewman ! said:
I'd love to hear about your Heineken lager clone recipe, if you want to share.

Thanks.

8 1/2 # of German Pilsner
1/4 # Crystal 10L
@1.25qt/pound
Mashed 90 minutes @ 154f rec.
Sparged @ 170f to 6.25 gallons into boil kettle.

1oz Hersbrucker & 1/2oz Northern Brewer for 60 minutes

1/4oz of Hersbrucker for the last 15 minutes of the 60 minute boil.

OG should be around 1.051

Pitched Wyeast Danish Lager 2042

FG should be around 1.011

:D

Excellent, thanks.

Those hops aren't common around here. How necessary are they to the finished character of the beer ? Can you recommend substitute hops ? Saaz ? Tetnanger ?

Thanks

brewman ! said:
Excellent, thanks.

Those hops aren't common around here. How necessary are they to the finished character of the beer ? Can you recommend substitute hops ? Saaz ? Tetnanger ?

Thanks

I don't know, I'm sure someone here can give you something close.

Back