Idopher question and basic yeast washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Two short questions:

1. A fellow brewer recently returned a 5 gallon keg that he had cleaned and then sanitized with an idopher solution. The keg is about 3/4 full of this solution and I have never used idopher below so I am unsure if I just dump the sanitizer out and then use the keg or do I need to do several final rinses before using the keg? The solution has been in the keg for 2 weeks. I have only been using Starsan for my brewing.

2. Made my first attemp at yeast washing 2 weeks ago and I was able to collect 3 pint jars with white yeast sediment on the bottom. I know I should make a starter from the sediment a few days prior to brewing but what I don't know is what signs should I be looking for that will show me that the washed yeast is viable?

Thanks for any input.

Thanks for the feedback. I may not have been direct in my second question. What I would like to know is what physical signs I should look for once I have made the starter that the washed yeast is viable? I wonder if I should just look for more yeast sediment occurring or are there other signs to look for that will show you your yeast starter is viable and healthy?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back