How big of a HLT do you need for 10 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

262andbrew

Reaction score
I have been doing BIAB and making some pretty good 5 gallon batches, but I am considering a 3 vessel system to double the output. I have found lots of good info on the mash tun, but I am wondering if I can re-task an old 32 quart pot for a lauter tun.

So, does that do it? My scratch math says that I could do 20 lbs of grain with a 1.5q per pound, right? And then I could heat sparge water while the mash is doing it's thing. That works for the average brews and puts me close for thick mash stronger brews.

Any flaws in my thinking? (my thinking might be blurred by my trusty keezer). :drunk:

Are you going to continue doing BIAB? Not sure if you want to stick with stainless or would consider a cooler HLT...

Seems that the 10 gallon Rubbermaid beverage cooler makes a popular HLT. Personally, I am going a little gigger to accomodate larger beers. I currently have a 52 qt. Coleman Xtreme as my mash tun. I could do 10 gallon batches in this but I like extra room for vigorous stirring (I batch sparge).

Walmart has the 70 qt. Coleman Xtreme on sale for $35.97 (awesome price). I am going to get one of these and use it as my mash tun and allocate my 52 qt. one as an HLT.

Not that it matters one bit but now I will have matching MLT and HLT. :)

John

Walmart has the 70 qt. Coleman Xtreme on sale for $35.97 (awesome price).

I use the 70 qt coleman cooler as MLT. I do 10-12 gallon batches and it gets very full during the sparge (single batch sparge). If you used anything smaller you'd have to split the sparge into a double batch sparge or do a fly sparge.

For a HLT. A 10 gallon pot is minimal. right now I make due with an 8 gallon pot but I'll be upgrading to a 15 gallon aluminum stock pot to use for heating the strike and sparge water.

For a boil kettle 15 gallons is minimal. I do OK with a 15 gallon pot but Fermcap is a must have because that sucker is full to the top.

Back