First build from scratch. Can you look this over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
This is my first self made recipe I made with Beersmith and from the book "Designing Great Beers". I have always done kits or followed someone else's recipe. It's the time of year I brew a Bavarian Hefeweizen, so it is something simple. Tell me how you think this will turn out like.

70% Efficiency 6 Gallon volume

7 lbs wheat malt
3lbs. 8oz 2 row Pilsner
4.5 oz Crystal 30L
1 OZ Hallertauer 60 min [4.50%]
.20 oz Hallertauer 15 min [4.50%]
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephen Weizen

Light Body Single infusion mash with no mash out at 152 degrees. Ferment around ten days; bottle condition at 4.5 Volume of CO2 3 weeks and enjoy.

Est. OG 1.048
Est. FG 1.012
Est Color 4.4
Est. IBU 15.8

For the grain bill I just use 50-66% wheat and the rest pils. Any hops other than 60 minutes additions easily get lost with 3068 yeast. Overall I think a Bavarian Weizen comes down to technique more than a recipe.

I agree with Ray; that seems a tad too much wheat malt.

I try to keep my wheat beers around 50% wheat and 50% barley, at most. I think with the ratio you mention you will run into issues with sparging.

I agree with Ray; that seems a tad too much wheat malt.

I actually starting using 66% wheat after watching that Modern Marvels brewing episode. They had a brewer from I think the Weihenstephen Brewery saying they use 66% in their weizens.

I actually starting using 66% wheat after watching that Modern Marvels brewing episode. They had a brewer from I think the Weihenstephen Brewery saying they use 66% in their weizens.

In case you didn't do the math mine is 65% which I think is pretty close to yours.

In case you didn't do the math mine is 65% which I think is pretty close to yours.

No I didn't but after reading this thread again it looks like avidhomebrewer thought I was implying you had too much wheat when I was just giving you my approach to the style for comparisons sake.

Back