Brewtarget 1.2 - Free open source brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANKS FOR A GREAT PROGRAM!! I have been looking for something to run on the Mac. I also have been unsuccessful importing from beersmith, but will try exporting in different ways to see if that is the problem. Do we need to export only single recipes at a time or can I export a collection of recipes?

I only wish brew pal would import/export too!!! Then I could have my recipes everywhere I go. But thats another forum.

Also I typically like to have my volume into the fermenter around 5.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch to account for trub. It would be great if next update could add this extra volume adjustment.

Not trying to complain at all since I am very grateful for your hard work. Thanks.:mug:

Just tried exporting from beersmith in several ways, single recipe in .xml format, multiple in .xml. When I try to import into brewtarget it only will say 0 recipes found in the bottom left corner. I will keep trying and let you know if I can figure it out.

Would you mind sending me these files that you have tried? PM me.

I exported my recipies from brewsmith and imported them into version 1 with no trouble and I don't remember doing anything special. I have not tried importing into 1.2

Brewtarget on Mac 10.6

Also, I should point out that there are a couple of errors in the way Beersmith behaves when trying to read BeerXML files. The biggest is that it can't read numbers of the form "1.234e-02" and so it screws up when displaying the amount of ingredients. I've talked to Brad Smith about this error, and hopefully he'll fix it soon.

Why does it act so weird when adjusting target and boil volumes? What is the proper method of adjusting these? I see they are linked to the equipment somehow, not sure.

Just tried exporting from beersmith in several ways, single recipe in .xml format, multiple in .xml. When I try to import into brewtarget it only will say 0 recipes found in the bottom left corner. I will keep trying and let you know if I can figure it out.

So, he was exporting the recipe in html. You need to export from beersmith in BeerXML format, which they call ".bsm" I believe.

Tell me what's not intuitive and I'll try to explain.
When I enter the batch size, is it supposed to update the target boil for me? Or do I enter both values manually? How does it know the boil off rate (I assume this is part of the equipment setting)?

Maybe I need to watch your walkthrough video again.

klyph:
The boil off rate (evap rate per hour) is in the Equipment settings.

The batch size also comes from the Equipment settings. You can check a box to have it calculate pre-boil volume for you there as well.

Great software. Just got into brewing and this is the first software I've used also. Seems pretty intuitive so far.

Any future plans on an Iphone app? I don't really know why I would need an app it just seems trendy and cool to play with while I'm not working at work.

Thanks again for keeping this great software free!!!

Great software. Just got into brewing and this is the first software I've used also. Seems pretty intuitive so far.

Any future plans on an Iphone app? I don't really know why I would need an app it just seems trendy and cool to play with while I'm not working at work.

Thanks again for keeping this great software free!!!

Thanks! I'm not sure about iPhone, but you could very easily port Brewtarget to Windows Mobile, Symbian phones, Android, and Maemo phones without rewriting the source code since Qt is supported on those platforms. If someone wants to do this, it would be a great little project.

Thanks! I'm not sure about iPhone, but you could very easily port Brewtarget to Windows Mobile, Symbian phones, Android, and Maemo phones without rewriting the source code since Qt is supported on those platforms. If someone wants to do this, it would be a great little project.

I would LOVE to see this as a Droid App. Brewzor is kewl, but it's more for AG brewers. I'm not at that level of Beer Expertise yet. Even if it was something that could read a BeerSmith XML and calculate gravity corrections; that would rock. :D

Does this mean that I could just transfer the downloaded folder to the root folder of my symbian phone and it would work without any prior modifications?

Does this mean that I could just transfer the downloaded folder to the root folder of my symbian phone and it would work without any prior modifications?

No. For 2 reasons:

1) You would need to compile it for symbian.
2) The current GUI is much too large for a phone.

However, these things should be relatively simple to do if someone were willing to join the team and help ;)

No. For 2 reasons:

1) You would need to compile it for symbian.
2) The current GUI is much too large for a phone.

However, these things should be relatively simple to do if someone were willing to join the team and help ;)

ok, hope someone will do it.... I'm not into this programming, so....

I could translate everything to Bosnian if you want..... :mug:

OK, I'm on the Jaunty install of Mint (Mint 7). I start the program from the terminal, like you do, and then go to the 'New Recipe' button. The window pops up and asks me for a name. When I enter the name and click 'OK', the program closes on me.

When starting the program, I get the following messages in the terminal:
Code:
WARNING: Could not open /home/colin/.config/brewtarget/options.xml for reading.
ERROR: Could not open /home/colin/.config/brewtarget/database.xml for reading.
brewtarget(25208) Phonon::KdePlatformPlugin::createBackend: using backend:  "Xine"

When it errors out, I get:
Code:

I had the same problem when running from terminal in ubuntu 9.10. I created a launcher to start the program now it works fine.

Similar situation here. When running from terminal in Ubuntu 9.10, the program opens, but I get many errors. I installed the .deb version and have qt and Phonon installed.

Code:
chris@computer:~$ brewtarget
ERROR: Could not open /home/chris/.config/brewtarget/database.xml for reading.
WARNING: bool Phonon::FactoryPrivate::createBackend() phonon backend plugin could not be loaded 
WARNING: bool Phonon::FactoryPrivate::createBackend() phonon backend plugin could not be loaded 
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect  Phonon::MediaObject ( no objectName ) to  Phonon::AudioOutput ( no objectName ). 
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect  Phonon::MediaObject ( no objectName ) to  Phonon::AudioOutput ( no objectName ). 

Phonon needs a backend like gstreamer or xine. As far as the "could not open" errors, that's just a bug that occurs sometimes. I've found the problem and fixed it, so it'll be alright in the next release. For now, you can do:

Code:
mkdir ~/.config/brewtarget
cp /usr/local/share/brewtarget/*.xml ~/.config/brewtarget

I have been playing with your software for a while, but not really using it on brewday until you added the ability to print (thank you).

So, a few days ago i used it alone for a brewday and have a few items for you:

On my Mac 10.6 - the default button on equipment is still delete.

Having trouble saving mash information - most likely user error.

as a new AG brewer I like the gravity correction (needed it), but did not want to increase my boil the amount that it suggested. Would it be possible to find a way for us to enter the gravity we did end up with?

Last, I saw your concern for increase popularity meaning more questions to answer and was wondering if there was a way for you to put the manual out for the people using it to add to as they use it. then could just direct questions you know are answered to it.

thanks for your great software and work.

Installed 1.2 from the .deb in Ubuntu 9.10, phonon and Qt installed. Unfortunatly, no luck as of yet. I am getting the following error when luanching from terminal:
Code:
ERROR: Could not open /home/zack/.config/brewtarget/database.xml for reading.

and all of the drop downs (e.g. styles, Equipment, etc.) or tables (e.g. fermentables, hop profiles, etc.) are empty.

Trying the posted fix doesn't work either.

Code:
$ sudo mkdir ~/.config/brewtarget
mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/zack/.config/brewtarget': File exists
$ sudo cp /usr/local/share/brewtarget/*.xml ~/.config/brewtarget
cp: cannot stat `/usr/local/share/brewtarget/*.xml': No such file or directory

Please help!

Installed 1.2 from the .deb in Ubuntu 9.10, phonon and Qt installed. Unfortunatly, no luck as of yet. I am getting the following error when luanching from terminal:
Code:

and all of the drop downs (e.g. styles, Equipment, etc.) or tables (e.g. fermentables, hop profiles, etc.) are empty.

Trying the posted fix doesn't work either.

Code:
$ sudo mkdir ~/.config/brewtarget
mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/zack/.config/brewtarget': File exists
$ sudo cp /usr/local/share/brewtarget/*.xml ~/.config/brewtarget
cp: cannot stat `/usr/local/share/brewtarget/*.xml': No such file or directory

Please help!

Ok bro, I'm in the process of putting up the files for 1.2.1 and I've fixed that bug for good. The .deb package is already up, so go download it and see if it works.

Just spent the last 2 hours on this program creating a few different recipes picking and choosing from things seen here on the board. What a great addition to the addiction...creating your own recipes is the way to go. Great software

In case anyone missed that last post...

I just released 1.2.1 which has a bunch of little bug fixes and stuff. Go download it!

In Mandriva I had to hand edit the Makefile to get it to compile. I added: -I/usr/include/phonon/ to the includes section, but I'm assuming that is something on my system. Not sure why configure would not pick it up since it is in the correct place. Program runs but I haven't played with it yet. Thanks.

I jsut installed this an have been playing with it. Seems pretty good so far.

Question: How accurate is the part on the right that tells you if your recipe is balanced/cloying/hoppy, etc?

is the mac version updated too? it still says version 1.2 on sourceforge unless i'm looking in the wrong place?

cheers
martin

Unfortunately, I can't get a hold of the mac I usually use to do builds. Hopefully, I can get it in a couple of days though.

In Mandriva I had to hand edit the Makefile to get it to compile. I added: -I/usr/include/phonon/ to the includes section, but I'm assuming that is something on my system. Not sure why configure would not pick it up since it is in the correct place. Program runs but I haven't played with it yet. Thanks.

Strange. Qmake is responsible for making the Makefile, so perhaps something's happening there.

How accurate is the part on the right that tells you if your recipe is balanced/cloying/hoppy, etc?

"Accurate" is probably not the right term here. It's just a guideline. It's basically an implementation of that OG:IBU chart that gets posted all the time around here.

"Accurate" is probably not the right term here. It's just a guideline. It's basically an implementation of that OG:IBU chart that gets posted all the time around here.

"They're more like guidelines" - Captain Barbosa :)

So you're using IBU's divided by OG-1*1000 (I think) EX: 33.1/45=.775 Bitterness Ratio correct? That's by style tho if I understand that correctly.

Makes sense and should help tho. It showed my amber as a little hoppy till I upped the crystal(s) from .5# to .75#. It has been turning out a little bitter actually.

Oh! and nice software! :)

Ok bro, I'm in the process of putting up the files for 1.2.1 and I've fixed that bug for good. The .deb package is already up, so go download it and see if it works.
Still no dice. Getting the same error with 1.2.1 downloaded and installed this morning.

Still no dice. Getting the same error with 1.2.1 downloaded and installed this morning.

Try this once more to see if maybe dpkg just left the old 1.2 hanging around. In the 1.2.1 release, I can no longer reproduce
this error, so I'm pretty sure I fixed it this time.

Code:
sudo dpkg --purge brewtarget
sudo dpkg -i brewtarget_1.2.1-1_i386.deb
brewtarget

Let me know what happens. By the way, I gave you the wrong directory before. If this doesn't work, do this:

Code:
mkdir ~/.config/brewtarget
cp /usr/share/brewtarget/*.xml ~/.config/brewtarget

I think before, I told you "/usr/LOCAL/share...".

Got it! -Thanks
Installing from Terminal fixed it. Now to start playing, I need to start another batch in a week.

Using this under Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) when I enter the hops I get crazy amount of IBUs IE.. .50 oz for 1 hr @4.5% Alfa it gives me 141 IBUs

is there something I can do to fix this?

Rocketman, is there a minimum screen size setting for the OS X version 1.2.1? I've got a "Hackintosh" netbook with a screen res of 1024x600, and I can't tell if there's anything below the ingredients box, and there's no "resize" box at the bottom right.

Thanks!

Rocketman

THanks a bunch for the updates, they're great :mug: The notes feature is excellent, I can now use brewtarget for everything...

If I had one iota of programming knowledge I'd happily help. We really owe you one...

Back