Garage Utility Sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanielb1

Reaction score
I am wanting to put a sink in my garage...this one. I am planning on "T"ing off the hot and cold water for the washer. My question is about the drainage. Can I tap into the drain for the washer? Can I run PVC piping along the wall outside?? What do you guys recommend?? Thanks!!

I'm about to do the same exact thing. Tapping into the drain as well. Just make sure you have sufficient rise over run for the drain.

EDIT: What do you mean by "running the drain outside?"

Removing the long pipe, adding a PVC "T", putting a smaller pipe back on top.

Make sense?

I'm not making any holes in the walls.

There should be a vent stack for the washing machine drain. If so you'd be good to go for tying into that drain.

Otherwise, you'll produce a vacuum and suck the water out of your P-trap on the sink.

I have a flexible hose coming from the washer to the drain. You are making me think now. I do not mind cutting into the wall. I cut "T" of the drain pipe and run my sink drain to it and then patch the sheet rock.

I put in a utility sink in my Brew room/garage a couple weeks ago, I don't have access to a drain in there so I routed a PCV pipe out to my side lawn, I don't dump yeast cakes, concentrated sanitizers or detergents out here, I will dump those in a proper drain, I mainly use this for light washing and rinsing with diluted sanitizer or dish soap.

If you can get access to a drain hook in there, and like has been said make sure to get the pitch of the drain right.

good luck.

I put in a utility sink in my Brew room/garage a couple weeks ago, I don't have access to a drain in there so I routed a PCV pipe out to my side lawn, I don't dump yeast cakes, concentrated sanitizers or detergents out here, I will dump those in a proper drain, I mainly use this for light washing and rinsing with diluted sanitizer or dish soap.

If you can get access to a drain hook in there, and like has been said make sure to get the pitch of the drain right.

good luck.

This is what I was thinking about doing. With my carpentry skills or lack thereof, this may be the easiest thing.

I moved in to a house 5 years ago. It has one of those plastic sinks. (I REALLY like it).

I looked to replace it and discovered all the newer ones are SMALLER than the one I have. :mad:

Mine will fit the taller 7 gal primary buckets and a carboy in the laying down position. I don't think the new ones are long enough. I would measure them and the sink.

Mine is situated right near the rear door of my (walk out) basemnent. I have a 9' section of hose that I attach to the faucet. I can fill my buckets with water for cleaning and rinsing as well as take them outside (for the same reason) and not get the floor wet. Just a thought. ;)

I'm planning on doing the same thing. The drain is simple since it's right there next to the washer. My problem is I'm too lazy to do all the supply water work. Maybe some day...

convert the drain tube on the sink down to a garden hose size ,use hose clamps exc , and run the hose out outside or over to the floor drain if u have one.

I put a sink in my garage too. Luckily my garage is under my house so I just put it in back to back with the utility sink in my laundry room and split every connection including the drain. It was a bit of a hassle to get the gravity right but I finally did.

One suggestion, make sure the sink is sturdy. Mine was in that price range but it's plastic and the legs wobble a bit. It's lightweight and when you get a full carboy in there it can move quite a bit.

I'm on the hunt for a double deep well SS restaurant sink. I've missed out on the few that have been on craigslist. That will be the absolute perfect scenario.

Is it up to code to run the drain out into the yard, and not into a proper sewage system?

If not, expect to pay to have the plumbing corrected when you sell the house. Mine as well do it right this time, even if it means hiring a contractor.

I picked up a 2'x2'x5' SS sink off CL that had been used in a dog groomers. I teed into the washer supply and used a 50' blue flat lay swimming pool washout hose to discharge into the yard. Just roll it up when done. Screw them code enforcers, its no worse then washing your car in the yard.

I picked up a 2'x2'x5' SS sink off CL that had been used in a dog groomers. I teed into the washer supply and used a 50' blue flat lay swimming pool washout hose to discharge into the yard. Just roll it up when done. Screw them code enforcers, its no worse then washing your car in the yard.

I was told that I can not replace my cracked two section cement laundry sink with another old garage sale sink also made of concrete in a 1936 house.
Yeah sure watch me, idential sink like the cracked original. plastic in rentals get busted by them, concrete is idiot proof.
I pump my brewing drain water to the yard for years it's not from the toilet.
Mention you have a well with city water to the house in seperate systems and watch the can of worms that is opened by city inspectors, backflow check valve and water use fees will be added.

Back