Knowing you ABV without a hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muntzster

Reaction score
So, i never bought one, flame away, and now I am wondering what percent my apple cider is around. I looked around and couldnt find the specific thread that i wanted to find, searching also didn't turn up anything that helped me. Well do any of you know how I could figure this out?

Its 5 gallons of apple juice 2 packets of yeast ( shouldn't make a difference ) and 2 cups of honey.

Thanks

Step one:
Purchase a case of a beer with a known alcohol content. Drink until you pass out.

Step two:
Count the empties in the morning.

Step three:
Drink your cider until you pass out. Compare the number of ciders drunk to the number of beer drunk the previous night to calculate approximate ABV.

For a serious answer, look elsewhere, I have no idea.

the_bird said:
Step one:
Purchase a case of a beer with a known alcohol content. Drink until you pass out.

Step two:
Count the empties in the morning.

Step three:
Drink your cider until you pass out. Compare the number of ciders drunk to the number of beer drunk the previous night to calculate approximate ABV.

For a serious answer, look elsewhere, I have no idea.

Well that was good enough for a laugh. :)

Most of the ciders I've made, without extra sugars, are 5-6%. Two cups of honey won't make much difference. There are ways of determining the actual ABV, but if you don't have ahydrometer, you probably don't have the equipment you'd need.

Back