A Blonde Ale of sorts - seem reasonable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yermej

Reaction score
I'm still doing extract brews, but will be moving to full boils with this batch. I'm also still getting used to building my own recipes. I'm not really shooting for a particular style here, but I selected Blonde Ale in Beer Smith as a guide for the numbers. I'm also considering dry hopping with maybe an oz of Cascade.

I haven't used T-58 before. The description mentions its "estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development" which sounds good to me. I want those flavors, but I don't want them to dominate. I have a fermentation fridge (which I can also heat) so I'm trying to decide on the best temp for this - would 68 be too high?

I'd appreciate any opinions/advice on this one:

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.28 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (11 Gallon)

Ingredients

5.00 lb DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) (steeped at 155 F)

0.60 oz Sterling 7.7 [7.70 %] (60 min)
0.75 oz Cascade 4.6 [4.60 %] (15 min)
0.75 oz Cascade 4.6 [4.60 %] (0 min)
(possibly dry hop with 1 oz Cascade 4.6)

0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)

1 Pkgs SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL Yeast #T-58) (rehydrated, no starter)

Est Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.18 %

Bitterness: 23.6 IBU (Rager; Tinseth gives 23.1)
Bitterness Ratio: 0.543 IBU/SG

Calories: 189 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.0 SRM

It would probably be best to start fermentation on the lower side of the temperature range for this yeast, and then allow the yeast to naturally ramp up to the high 60's. By doing this, you'll cut down on the number of higher alcohols and yeast byproducts not really wanted in your beer. This yeast will be pretty close to a Belgian yeast, so it can stand higher temps. Being a Blonde Ale, you'll probably want to keep it somewhat clean by fermenting low, not high.

That sounds good. Thanks. I'm not set on this being strictly a blonde ale. I just chose that to give me guidelines on gravity, bitterness, and coloring.

Do you think fermenting at lower temps would still give a good amount of flavor from the yeast? I'm thinking the peppery, spicy flavor would work well with the bitter orange, coriander, and cascades, but I don't want it to completely dominate. The temp range given by Fermentis is 59-75 F - so maybe 63 would give better balance and still good attenuation? I supposed I'll just give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, I think a Blonde would be wonderful with some orange peel, coriander, and Cascade hops. To be honest, Cascades are my favorite hop as of now and I'm actually dry hopping 1 oz. of Cascades in BM's Centennial Blonde I brewed up recently. I think that starting at 63F would be perfect. It will probably get up into the low 70's within the first 2-3 days of fermentation. Just make sure it doesn't get too high (above 75) or you'll start to run into other by products of yeast that you aren't really looking for.

I love T-58. I keep that and US-05 (3 bags each) and some S-04 as backup at all times.

58 isn't quite as wild as the description makes it out to be. A lot of the profile for this yeast comes through in the nose. I use it for a lot of my spicier beers, and Belgians. I think it is best during it's second generation, if repitching is something you're into.

If you use the bitter orange, I would try to stay away from the dried stuff. It is bitter and pithy. I really like to use some fresh zest from 2 oranges and a bit of zest from a grapefruit like a quarter of a grapefruit. Just use a veggie peeler and stay away from the white pith. Or just the zest of two saville (bitter oranges.)

With 58 I like to start low, 64F and ramp up to about 80F. Amazing attenuation this way, with just the right blend of profile flavors.

Back