Short on cash? Want more brew knowledge? Public Library to the Rescue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
I just ordered every brewing book I have every dreamed of reading from the library.

They were able to get every one! I already have Noonan's New Lager Brewing and have about 30+ books on the way.

They even have access to the ridiculous brewing textbook series that costs around $600 to buy. I am going to be in brewing knowledge heaven for the next month or so.

Just a tip for those without the means to buy all those awesome books right now.

:mug:

1. Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels.
2. New Brewing Lager Beer by Greg Noonan.
3. The Brewer's Companion by Randy Mosher.
4. Principles of Brewing Science - 2nd Ed. by George Fix.
5. A Textbook of Brewing, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 by Jean De Clerck, translated by Kathleen Barton-Wright.
6. Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow.
7. Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the European Tradition by Phil Markowski.
8. Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher.
9. Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione.
10. Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.
11. How To Brew by John Palmer.
12. Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus.
13. Classic Beer Styles Series published by the American Homebrewers Association (AHA).
a. Vienna/Oktoberfest/Marzen
b. Porter by Terry Foster
c. Belgian Ale
d. German Wheat Beer by Eric Warner
e. Scotch Ale by Greg Noonan
f. Bock by Darryl Richman
g. Stout Book by Michael J. Lewis
h. Barley Wine Book
i. Alt Book
j. Kolsch Book by Eric Warner
k. Brown Ale by Ray Daniels and Jim Parker
l. Pale Ale Revised Edition by Terry Foster
m. Bavarian Helles Book by Horst Dornbusch
n. Smoked Beers Book by Ray Daniels and Geoff Larson​

I brought this list to the library, told them that these were books about homebrewing that would be very useful. They ordered all of them. Not all will be held in my local library system, but I can rent them for a month.

Sweet.

My local library system has a couple choice titles, including Charles Bamforth's Beer : Tap into the Art and Science of Brewing.

If you have access to a university library, treasure awaits.

Also don't forget, inter-library loans. If there is a public library in the US(that is part of the inter-library loan program - most public libraries are) that has it, your library can borrow it from that library so you can read it.

Thanks for the post BK! I may hit my libraries up for some of these books.

+1 on the inter-library loan. My job requires using this function quite often (mostly for journal articles). You might check to see if your library can get access to any brewing journals as well.

FYI, the local Lubbock library system is involved with Overdrive Media. You can get access to some e-books. Makes it great to read on digital devices. I have used it to watch movies I downloaded for 7 days. Link: Lubbock Public Library You do have to be a library member to use it.

Your library might be associated with Overdrive Media as well.

I don't think I could live without those books being available to me at any time. I am missing two of them, and I really want to pick up that principals of brewing science soon.

Back