Looking for some advice on lemonade and the difficulty of getting lemonade to carb up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EoinMag

Reaction score
Hi all,

I made my first traditional style lemonade recently, I made ginger beer, orangeade and lemonade. The ginger carbed up within 24hours, the orangeade within 48 and I'm still waiting almost 120 days later on the lemonade, I even repitched with wine yeast.
I think the high acidity of the lemonade inhibited the yeast, any tips on this from anyone?

Eoin

Are you bottling or kegging the lemonade? If kegging, you'll need to apply at least 30PSI, that what I had to do. Bottling can be more tricky to diagnose. You'll want to rehydrate the yeast else the acidity or alcohol will likely kill them.

I'm bottle conditioning it if you like, I like the idea of carbonating just with yeast, I think it has more of a perlescence and a nicer mouthfeel than force carbed.
Maybe rehydrating the yeast before pitching it is the way to go alright, I'll give that a try, I don't normally do it with dry yeasts.

New to forum and fermenting Ginger Ale/Sodas, so could someone tell me what is "Rehydrating" yeast-v-dissolving in water?

HollyGayle

ive heard people having problems with that before. maybe you should just force carb it in a keg than bottle it if you cant get it to work with the yeast, atleast you will save throwing it out lol

ive heard people having problems with that before. maybe you should just force carb it in a keg than bottle it if you cant get it to work with the yeast, atleast you will save throwing it out lol

The post is almost three years old :)

The lemonade is long gone.

Back