Up the alcohol a little?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
Wanting to up my alcohol 1% or so. I currently do extract. Any tips that won’t really affect the taste of my beers? I read using 1 pound of dme will do the trick? Any input on this?

It depends on the recipe. In a beer that starts at about 1.041, one pound of DME will raise it to 1.050, so about 1% ABV gain. Of course, in a bigger beer, it'll take more DME to raise it 1%. Still approximately 9 gravity points, but a smaller percentage of the total ABV.

As long as the whole recipe is still in balance, it's simple to just raise the ABV a little bit. I like to look at the whole recipe, and consider adding more bittering to it, so it stills stays in the basic style of what I intended.

More malt extract equals higher ABV. It also equals more malty and sweet flavors. If you want to balance that, add more hops, I guess. Not a hop head here, so more malty and sweet is fine by me.

This post is a generalization.

Back