E-mail I'm planning to send to a homebrew store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
This issue was with LME and it leaking out into the protective outer bag. Should I e-mail my concerns or is it expect why else would they double package it. So here is the e-mail I was planning on sending.

So I received my Portland Pale Ale last night. I opened the box everything was normal i realized the usual instructions were missing in the green and orange paper (its okay i know my way around a 60min boil kit by now). A few things that concerned me were I noticed the bag of liquid malt extract was placed directly on top of the metal bottle caps which had happened to rub against each other during shipping. It left some rubb marks on the outer bag of the double sealed LME but it did not puncture.

The main issue is the outer bag that holds the main bag of Liquid Malt Extract (LME) contained about 1/2 cup of LME in it. The main bag which itself holds the actual LME did not look punctured but was oddly sealed at an almost 30 degree angle so not a straight line. I didn't find a leak in the bag but I didn't look hard since my hands were covered in LME. In no way will it make me stop ordering from your store, I enjoy your great customer service and kits. Its just a heads up thank you.

P.S Lucky the main protective bag was not puncture so the LME was salvageable.

That is the end of the letter just a little fyi
I ended up using 2 cups of DME (almost over kill) because I was almost a cup short of LME with sticky hands I wasn't encouraged to get all I could out of both bags.

"I didn't look hard since my hands where covered in LME. This made me wonder if there was a micro leak..."

Fix your spelling. Were, not where. It is in there a few times.

You're narrative is a little confusing. You might just write: "I got my order. LME leaked all over. What the heck?"

I just did the exact same thing yesterday for another product I buy, not online, but in a store. Without getting into why I was becoming dissatisfied with their product, I nicely said I wanted to make them aware their quality was making me think of changing products.

They replied within an hour and said they already knew about the issue and were working to resolve it and offered to send me free samples of a comparable product to try in the meantime while they worked out the issue.

One time I commented on a change in my favorite frozen pizza and they thanked me for my comments and sent me coupons for free boxes.

I think they like and want the feedback good or bad, I would.

Another vote for keeping it simple. "Got my order and LME leaked all over. Your preference of using bags to ship LME does not seem up to the task. How will you remedy this?"

That gets the point across. The bag leaked because you don't think their packaging is sufficient and you want to know what they're going to do to make it right.

Okay, guess I'll keep it short. I felt that It would be better to be as descriptive as possible guess not. Thanks for the constructive criticism. How common is it for LME to leak?

In the four or so orders I've gotten through the mail I haven't had it leak yet. However, the LHBS uses plastic buckets for LME and I've had it leak all over my passenger seat because it seeped out of the lid and I wasn't paying attention.

How about just a simple. "I received my order and about a cup or so of the LME had leaked out of the bag. I was still able to make my brew adding a bit of some ingredients I had on hand, but figured since I have enjoyed your customer service in the past, you would want to know this". That will probably garner the best results since you say that you will continue to use them in the future...could get you a store credit or the like.

How about just a simple. "I received my order and about a cup or so of the LME had leaked out of the bag. I was still able to make my brew adding a bit of some ingredients I had on hand, but figured since I have enjoyed your customer service in the past, you would want to know this". That will probably garner the best results since you say that you will continue to use them in the future...could get you a store credit or the like.

Wow you must be some kind of Hemmingway, I couldn't of summed it up any better.

Your letter sounds a little passive as well. If it leaked so much that you had to supplement with your own DME to make up for the loss of gravity, there is a problem. I would have simply taken pictures and told them I want to return the kit. A "backup bag" doesn't mean s***. You don't need to reassure the store that you'll be shopping there again either. Give a store praise and promise when they do good things, not reassurance when they do something bad.

Latest posts

Back