Help with a spiced porter recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kite

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm brewing a sort of mulled wine porter for Christmas this year. Brewing with some spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger, maybe some anise, nutmeg, and orange zest) then aging on red wine oak.
My problem is getting these spices measured out right. I'm doing a couple 1 gallon batches so I can't keep it small in case I get the amounts wrong on one, the other will have a chance.
How would you recommend doing these spices in a one gallon batch? How much of each and when to add, etc.?
I'm pretty new to this stuff, so I appreciate the help!

Kite

I would suggest it is better to have just a hint of a spice, than to be overpowering and undrinkable. For ginger check recipes, I know there is a Barkshack Gingermead that might help there. I would personally try just 1 clove in a gallon, you can always increase the next batch.
There is another post currently about cloves also.
Maybe a couple cinnamon sticks?

Awesome. Thanks for the input! I definitely agree on the non-overpowering flavors. Glad you mentioned the cloves, because mine could have turned nasty with clove overload.

I've read a lot about using candied ginger at opposed to powered or raw. Anyone have thoughts on this and how the different forms will affect the outcome?

Latest posts

Back