Wild idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliclaste

Reaction score
So I have a crazy idea for a mead recipe, but I don't want it to end up being nasty. I have made tea in the past out of brewing pine needles and it was delish, and I was thinking of making a pine mead... Maybe also adding some other types of wild fresh ingredients such as some fresh mint, maybe some type of flavorful wood (I have walnut , choke cherry and several different types of apple wood) anyone think this would work for a delicious mead? Or any recommendations? Thanks

I also hear that choke cherry isn't a good idea to use in anything. Apparently it's not good for you

Don't see why not--people oak their meads sometimes.

My thought is use an appropriate variety of honey (don't know what type), and throw wood chips and herbage (if wanted) in during the secondary.
Gotmead has a list of some varietals of honey that includes a few tree varieties.

What about a few juniper berries or corriander somewhere in the process? some citrus in the mix might be nice too, not a lot so it becomes a major player in the flavor profile but some lemon or bitter orange zest will make the good piney flavors pop without becoming a noticable flavor component.

So I have a crazy idea for a mead recipe, but I don't want it to end up being nasty. I have made tea in the past out of brewing pine needles and it was delish, and I was thinking of making a pine mead... Maybe also adding some other types of wild fresh ingredients such as some fresh mint, maybe some type of flavorful wood (I have walnut , choke cherry and several different types of apple wood) anyone think this would work for a delicious mead? Or any recommendations? Thanks

Well, pine wouldn't be my 1st choice, but I'd say if you like the tea, give it a shot. You might consider using black spruce instead of pine though:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1981-01-01/Spruce-Chewing-Gum.aspx

Black spruce has been used in food & brewing for hundreds of years. While not the same flavour as pine needles, it's still sorta "piney" & still tasty.
Just my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

MasterJeem said:
I also hear that choke cherry isn't a good idea to use in anything. Apparently it's not good for you

I didn't know that it was bad, I've had choke cherry juice made from the cherrys that grow on that very tree, but I will research that more to find out, the wood just has such a strong cherry aroma I thought it might be interesting in a mead or wine, maybe not this one but I definately want to try it, if it's safe

MasterJeem said:
Can't go wrong with a little Sassafras, right?

I'm not familiar with sassafras, I looked it up, it is aparantly some kind of tree, correct? I don't even know if they grow in Utah where I'm located.

biochemedic said:
There's a number of hop varieties that have a very resinous piney flavor; perhaps you could dry hop with one or more of those varieties.

I'll have to look into that, thanks!

TheBrewingMedic said:
What about a few juniper berries or corriander somewhere in the process? some citrus in the mix might be nice too, not a lot so it becomes a major player in the flavor profile but some lemon or bitter orange zest will make the good piney flavors pop without becoming a noticable flavor component.

Great idea! I forgot to mention the juniper, I already had kind of thought of that too, now my question about juniper berries is.. Can I just go in the mountains ad pick some and then just use them, or is there a specific variety that is safe to use in making alcohol? And I think citrus is a great idea too, since pine needles are somewhat citrus in flavor that would definitely work.

gratus fermentatio said:
Well, pine wouldn't be my 1st choice, but I'd say if you like the tea, give it a shot. You might consider using black spruce instead of pine though:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1981-01-01/Spruce-Chewing-Gum.aspx

Black spruce has been used in food & brewing for hundreds of years. While not the same flavour as pine needles, it's still sorta "piney" & still tasty.
Just my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Thanks for your reccommendation, I don't know f black spruce grows around here, if it does I will sample it and make some tea and see if I like the flavor, wouldn't be opposed in using more than 1 type of pine in order to reach the correct flavor, when making tea out of pine needles, the flavor is a lot more mild than if you were to just chew on the needles, it almost loses that tart essence that it has naturally.

Great idea! I forgot to mention the juniper, I already had kind of thought of that too, now my question about juniper berries is.. Can I just go in the mountains ad pick some and then just use them, or is there a specific variety that is safe to use in making alcohol? And I think citrus is a great idea too, since pine needles are somewhat citrus in flavor that would definitely work.

I don't know a lot about juniper berries, so can't help a lot there.

I didn't know that it was bad, I've had choke cherry juice made from the cherrys that grow on that very tree, but I will research that more to find out, the wood just has such a strong cherry aroma I thought it might be interesting in a mead or wine, maybe not this one but I definately want to try it, if it's safe

TELL ME you didn't just spread falsities about one of Yooper's favorite recipes...

I do a lot of meat smoking and anything I've ever read about using the wood had been to not do so. Something about it being toxic or carcinogenic. I'll do some research and post what I find

Because of its hydrocyanic acid content, most parts of the choke cherry tree are highly toxic to humans and livestock.

Im angry that I didnt think of this first. I love pine tea, and I love mead... its kind of like my dreams of Bjork in a big bowl of Pho....

Sorry.

Anyway, I'd love to taste it. Personally I would start with just pine in a gallon batch and THEN play with adjuncts next time.

CreamyGoodness said:
Im angry that I didnt think of this first. I love pine tea, and I love mead... its kind of like my dreams of Bjork in a big bowl of Pho....

Sorry.

Anyway, I'd love to taste it. Personally I would start with just pine in a gallon batch and THEN play with adjuncts next time.

That's a good idea, I may try a gallon of just pine alone at first

I have a pine smoked tea from Lapland I have been meaning to use.
+another pine lover.

I won't even risk it then, thanks for the info, is walnut wood or apple wood safe?

apple wood is safe. i use it for a lot. i hear that black walnut may not be good to use, but i would research that before making a decision. the thing is, a lot of people use woods like choke cherry, not realizing that they can be toxic. even the fruit can be if you dont get rid of the seeds. sure you probably wont die from smoking a pork shoulder or drinking a glass of mead made with it, but you're still putting those toxins in you. cyanide is not a joke and certainly something not to be taken lightly. i would use the fruits in a mead, but i'd have to get rid of the seeds first. that being said, i'd probably just rather use a different fruit.

If you want to add a little citrousy flavor then look into oxalis plants. Sheepshire, wood sorrel, purple shamrocks and iron cross are all good oxalis plants that have a slight lemony/tart taste to them.

roadymi said:
Do they just have a pit like a normal cherry? If so getting rid of them would be no big deal.

They look just like regular cherries just they have a really dry flavor when they are raw that isn't very pleasing to the mouth, but when they are juiced and cooked they taste similar to a regular cherry just a bit less sweet

Arpolis said:
If you want to add a little citrousy flavor then look into oxalis plants. Sheepshire, wood sorrel, purple shamrocks and iron cross are all good oxalis plants that have a slight lemony/tart taste to them.

Great info, thanks!

odinsgift said:
I have a pine smoked tea from Lapland I have been meaning to use.
+another pine lover.

Interesting, I was thinking of toasting or burning the needles a bit before I brew the tea with them to see if that adds a deeper flavor, same with the wood chips.

MasterJeem said:
apple wood is safe. i use it for a lot. i hear that black walnut may not be good to use, but i would research that before making a decision. the thing is, a lot of people use woods like choke cherry, not realizing that they can be toxic. even the fruit can be if you dont get rid of the seeds. sure you probably wont die from smoking a pork shoulder or drinking a glass of mead made with it, but you're still putting those toxins in you. cyanide is not a joke and certainly something not to be taken lightly. i would use the fruits in a mead, but i'd have to get rid of the seeds first. that being said, i'd probably just rather use a different fruit.

The walnut wood I have isn't black walnut, just regular walnut. I have a gallon of choke cherry wine that is fermenting right now, but they were seeded and juiced first, haven't had a chance to taste it yet but it smells fantastic.

Cliclaste said:
The walnut wood I have isn't black walnut, just regular walnut. I have a gallon of choke cherry wine that is fermenting right now, but they were seeded and juiced first, haven't had a chance to taste it yet but it smells fantastic.

I have never heard anything bad about walnut. That mead sounds great! And bravo for seeding first. If I had a choke cherry tree in my yard I'd do the same, but I have no trees.

Arpolis said:

Your private message box is full, it won't let me send you a reply

CreamyGoodness said:

Sorry.

Here goes a 1 gal batch of pine mead, I couldn't just do only pine, I like being creative... So we are doing pine (new spring growth, no old needles) fresh mint leaves, dried blueberries, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, cloves. Wish me luck!

image-2784205434.jpg

Cliclaste said:
Here goes a 1 gal batch of pine mead, I couldn't just do only pine, I like being creative... So we are doing pine (new spring growth, no old needles) fresh mint leaves, dried blueberries, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, cloves. Wish me luck!

Add to that, dried orange peel

Cliclaste said:
Add to that, dried orange peel

Well the blueberry really took control of this brew, didn't really take into account te fact that the blueberries were dried and so were essentially concentrated, should still be good, just now I believe that the pine may be an accent and not the primary flavor, but only time will tell, beautiful color though!

image-1243995096.jpg

NineMilBill said:
Consider adding fresh pine needles to secondary in a hop bag to bring out the flavor and aroma

I will definitely do that, my question is though, what is the best way to sterilize the needles before adding them to secondary?

Probably in the oven at 350*F for 15 min. Not enough to toast but enough to kill evil bacterium.

Back