Belgian Strong Dark Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8link

Reaction score
I'm putting together a recipe for a Belgian strong dark with a bit of twist; a partial soured mash.

I know the MO isn't exactly the best choice for a base but its what I have so its what I'm using. I threw the Carapils in there for body and head retention, I'm not sure if it'll actually do anything.

Its the first time I've played with wyeast 3522, anyone have experiences with it?

I'm looking for a big complex beer with a bit of soured twang and notes of dark fruit.

Anyone have any comments/opinions on the below? Does it look good? Stupid?

Thanks!

Sour Abbey
----------
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Batch: 5.00 galAll Grain

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.088 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 20 IBU
Recipe Color: 25° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.022
Alcohol by Volume: 8.5%
Alcohol by Weight: 6.7%

Ingredients
-----------
Aromatic Malt (Belgian) 0.25 lb, Grain, Mashed
Candi Sugar, Amber (Belgian) 2.00 lb, Sugar, Other
CaraMunich 1.00 lb, Grain, Mashed
CaraPils 0.50 lb, Grain, Mashed
Chocolate Malt (US) 0.08 lb, Grain, Mashed
Maris Otter Malt 9.00 lb, Grain, Mashed
Soured Two-row (US) 2.00 lb, Grain, Mashed
Special "B" (Belgian) 0.50 lb, Grain, Mashed

Hallertauer (Germany) 0.50 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Hallertauer (Germany) 0.50 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Willamette 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

Coriander Seed 0.50 TBS, Spice,
Wyeast 3522 - Belgian Ardennes1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 65-76° F ( ABV 12%) High Flocculation

Single infusion mash for 60 min @ 150*

Primary @ 67* for 3 weeks

The key to great belgian dark strongs lies in the candy sugar. This is by far the best I've used...
I did one batch with 2lbs d-90 and another with a lb each of d90 and d180. The latter is still fermenting but the first batch with the 90 is amazing. Awesome dark fruit complexity.
                  Candi Syrup, Inc. - Home
They have a few Belgian dark recipes on there as well. Nothing wrong with your recipe at all, I'd just make sure to at least use the d90.

Excellent link; thanks!

So it's all in the candy sugar, well this should be interesting. I followed instructions in this thread and made my own deep amber [290*]. It tastes fantastic, fruit and mellow caramels.

Here's hoping it ferments out with the dark fruit complexity that you got with your batch.

I followed the Pious Thread for my first shot at a dark strong. I brewed the "old world" version were it is only two pale malts and just the dark candi syrup. The syrup made for an incredibly complex delicious beer. I'd leave the chocolate, and special B out if it were my brew. I'm planning on brewing it again with a variation or two for my tastes.

I pulled the chocolate but everything else was already mixed and waiting to be crushed.
I dropped the last hop addition. My sour mash turned out fantastic and it seems to play well with the coriander. I guess I'll see how all the other adjuncts do in a few months.

I do plan on doing another smaller dark belgian for my next batch. I'll just use base and candi for that one. Should be fun to compare the two.

Back