mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
a friend of mine just gave me an old mini fridge but it needs to be recharged with freon. he was told that it would be $100+ to charge cause you have to cut the line to do it.

I have 3 different friends in the heat/air business that will do it for next to nothing.

I see a kegerator in my future:D

Getting the little guy charged up today. I'll have to pay for freon and help do the work. I'm not gonna complain.:mug:

My Mom gave me a brand new 4.5cf mini fridge. She bought it for school, but never used it. The shelves were still taped inside when I got it.

It's attached to my fermentation chiller now.

:ban:

I've got 2 mini-fridges collecting dust in my basement. I plan to build a double-sized fermentation chamber! LOL! :tank:

You laugh, but I was thinking of building a kegerator like that: A big foam box, with a mini fridge on each end, facing in. Both would be linked to the thermostat. Double the cooling.

;)

Dont pay for freon. Buy a bullet piercing valve and install it on the low side of the compressor (The big line). If the refrigerant is R-134a you can buy that at an auto parts store and the hose you need you can get from an hvac supply store along with the valve... All without having any sort of certification. In all it should only be about $25. Oh and your compressor probably just needed a $10 relay...

Nope, it was fried. The first thing my buddy did was put the Ohm meter on it. Someone had already cut and spliced wires to get it to "RUN" .

Oh and I didnt have to pay for anything or wouldnt have had to as he is a good friend of the family. I did however get on his roof and sweep the leaves/debris out of the valleys for him.:mug:

Well that is good. I work apartment maintenance and you would not believe the stuff people throw out. Typically things with simple electrical problems that I fix and then sell to help my home brewery fund ;-)

Back