Anyone using sterile water for yeast storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicagobrew

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good way to store yeast long-term and recently came across the sterile water storage technique. I know there are other ways out there - freezing, slants, plates, under beer, etc. - but they all have drawbacks. I don't have the equipment for freezing, and slants and plates have a shelf-life of less than a year or so. Sterile water looks like very little hassle and the yeast should be good for at least a year and possibly much longer. Is anyone using this method?

For some background, have a look at this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-store-recultured-yeast-87366/. There are some very good links in the thread that detail the process.

My thought with all of this is to use slants for culturing and building starters. Sterile water would be used to maintain a master collection long-term and seed slants as needed.

Thoughts?

Aaron

Colobrewer,

Thanks for the thread. I hadn't seen that one, but it's what I was trying to get at. Let's end this thread and shift all discussion to that one to keep the discussion going in one place.

Aaron

Back