So if SNPA is bottled conditioned with a small amount of yeast still in the bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...how the heck is it so clear?

I mean, all of my "bottle conditioned" pales are sorta clear, but nothing like the SNPA I'm drinking right now...

Its probably a minimal amount of yeast used, just enough for carbonation.

Our homebrewed beer still has pretty much ALL the yeast that wouldn't drop out of suspension still IN it. Its not even the conditioning thats a factor, but filtering.

I'd guess they filter, then add just enough yeast for carb.

They do filter on the way to the bright tank, then filter again after the bright tank. Before bottling they store in a holding tank at the bottling line. At this point, they mix in the proper(??) amount of bottling yeast (which may or may not be their fermentation yeast). There is not a whole lot of yeast in there, nowhere near the amount you'd get in after a 4 week fermentation cycle. It's just enough to do the job of carbonation, so unless you get a really old bottle you won't see much yeast, if any, on the bottom of the bottle.

Back