How long do wheat beers stay good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have heard that wheat beers should be drunk young.

How long will a wheat beer stay good?

Assume kegged beer (ale, are there wheat lagers?) stored either at 65*F or 38*F.

Wheat beers will be good for several months, but I find that if you like the yeast flavor/aroma then within 2 months of brewing gives the best results. Now, if you don't care for the banana/clove/spice of a hefe yeast it will definitely mellow over time so that may be a good thing.

Thanks.

I have a dunkel and a cherry in the kegerator now, so I guess I will hold off until one or the other is gone (or about gone) before I brew a hefe.

I brewed a wit 8 months ago, and it was still good when I had a bottle last week (only two more left now: time for a repeat batch I think :)

I found some wheat beer I bottled 3 yrs ago, is it still good?

Send it to me for a taste test and I'll tell you if it is still good. There isn't anything that makes a wheat beer "bad" from being in bottles but the flavor will change as it ages.

Back