Peanut Allergy and Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cistercian

Reaction score
I have a peanut allergy. Occasional I have an aversion to certain ales that seems to simulate a very slight reaction that is similar to when I smell or taste peanuts.

I've been trying to figure it out for a few years. I get with some Belgian Ales and recently with a Brown Ale that I brewed.

I think the culprit is Dingman's Special B, which is often present in Belgian Ales.

Some people think peanut allergies relate to exposure to "Ara h2" which is produced from roasting peanuts at high temps.

Does anyone know if Special B is also roasted at high temps? I wonder if there is a connection.

Is there anyone else out there who has experienced this in the context of peanut allergies or any other allergy?

it's definitely roasted at high temps. it comes in at about 150L. i don't know if getting there means high temp for a short period or low temp for a long period. you might be on to something. do you get a reaction to stouts?

do you get the same thing from a beer with a black malt? Like a stout or porter?

Senior Warrior,

Special B at high temps. Hmmm. Interesting.

I never get reactions to stouts. That's the strange thing. I can drink my own homebrew stouts with no problem and I can drink Guinness no problem. So black malts don't stimulate the reaction. Could it have something to do with enzymes not being in black malts?

However, a friend once shared his homebrew stout and I got the reaction. I don't know what his recipe was, though. Maybe he had used some Special B. That's the only stout that I've experienced it with.

well all the black malts are roasted at really high temps as well. And for longer than special B.
that's why I asked.

Special B really is special. I t gets roasted in two stages and has unique flavors. Since nutty is a common description, maybe there is something to your concerns. Dark roasted malts are practically charred.

Back