Wort chiller =

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Immersion chillers just need to be kept clean then dunked in during the last few minutes of the boil to be sanitized. Counter flow chillers are another story.

Every thing that is in contact with the wort before boiling or during boiling needs to be clean but not sanitized. The boiling sterilizes the wort and everything in contact with it for a few minutes. An immersion chiller should be put into the pot in the last few minutes (10-15) of the boil to sterilize it. No need to sanitize it. Same goes for the brew pot, brew spoons used in the boil and any measuring utensils for items added to the boil.
Craig

*My cranberry apfelwein says:*

The eBay context ads work pretty well. :) There's a Blichman chiller being offered. :)

I just circulate boiling wort thru my counterflow for 15 minutes near the end of the boil, then flush it with fresh water when flushing the rest.

Back