Barely Crusher Gap Setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
OK so I have a confession to make. I use the factory setting of .039 to crush my grains. I have been seeing b/t 68% and 70% efficiency.

What is the best setting for this crusher? What has been your experience.

- WW

Well, your first problem is that you got the Barely Crusher and not the Barley Crusher. I'm guessing that it barely crushes your grain ;)

I use the factory settings on the Barley Crusher and am seeing at least 80%.

I only used mine once this past weekend and at factory setting. I ended up getting 82% which I was quite happy with. In looking at the crush I personally don't want it any more milled. You want your husks in tact a bit. This was orfy's hobgoblin and a 90 min rest (I usually do 60) and a 60 sparge with Phil's arm. I usually get 70 tops with my IPA so I'll have to compare next time that I do that one.

How often have you used it? Could it be the recipe(s) you've brewed? Thinking wheats and their lower typical efficency. Lot of other variables could be there for ya too.

It's really easy to adjust with a spark plug gapper. I have adjusted mine to .035 and got better results.

Blender said:
It's really easy to adjust with a spark plug gapper. I have adjusted mine to .035 and got better results.
I just picked up a set of feeler gauges today at an auto parts store for $2 - at that price there is no excuse to not have one. It's a 9-piece set and can handle any increment of 0.001 inch between 0.002" and well over 0.05". And it does make adjusting the mill a snap.

I had somewhat foolishly assumed that the little notches/markings on the barley crusher knobs and body represented the factory setting of 0.039, however when I measured mine with it set to those marks, it was less than 0.037 at one end but way wider at the other end. Adjusting the mill using the feeler gauges to 0.037 at both ends, on one end the marks were close to lined up, at the other end they were WAY off. Go figure. I guess I have heard that some people adjust their mills to have an uneven gap at either end of the rollers, wonder if the barley crusher is meant to be used that way?

I use the factory defaults and get 80+%. However it may be that the factory defaults are not completely consistent between units so my defaults may not be your defaults. :)
Craig

Back