Water Report, Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
So I received the water report from the lab today, Whoohoo! Here's the rundown -

pH 8.1
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 331
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.55
Cations / Anions, me/L 5.8 / 5.8

The following are in ppm:
Sodium, Na 38
Potassium, K 1
Calcium, Ca 69
Magnesium, Mg 8
Total Hardness, CaCO3 206
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.2 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 31
Chloride, Cl 32
Carbonate, CO3 6
Bicarbonate, HCO3 168
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 147
Total Phosphorus, P 0.61
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Is there any particular style that this would be good for?

Thanks veganbrewer! It seems like at least on paper, the water is the most similar to London, as compared to other famous beer cities.

You might want to ask the water experts who hang out in the Brew Science forum, but that recipe is pretty high in bicarbonates. It probably makes a great stout, but lighter beers will probably need either dilution with reverse osmosis water or treatment of the alkalinity.

Thanks Yooper! I believe its the same source as Cigar City. I was told on the tour they use the hillsborough river water. I would guess they doctor it up a lil though.

Cigar city does use Hillsborough river water. You profile says st Petersburg if you live there you have different water. I work for Tampa Water Department

BreezyBrew said:
Thanks Yooper! I believe its the same source as Cigar City. I was told on the tour they use the hillsborough river water. I would guess they doctor it up a lil though.

I remember on the tour they said they brew with the water as is right out of the tap. Don't know if they were serious, that does sound like a stretch.

I asked on a tour as well and got the same response. I believe they have a water treatment guy on their staff though.

Its decent water. The alkalinity and sulfate are a little high, but not ridiculous. Learn how to properly acidify your mash and sparging water. If brewing a malt-focused style, you may need to dilute with distilled or RO water to reduce the sulfate content.

Speaking of Cigar City, Wayne Wambles is one of my old club mates from Tallahassee. He made great beer there and continues in Tampa. You can't keep a good man down!

I lived in Tallahassee for 10 years. I wasn't brewing back then, however I did eat at Buckhead (where I have heard he worked) years ago before I knew what craft beer was. I always hoped they would re-open, but I heard something about termites.

Back