First AG Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2HomeBrew

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just completed my first AG batch last Sunday. I was shooting for an American Amber, but the batch came out a bit darker than I expected, more like a brown.

This was my first attempt at an all grain, and I think things went as well as can be expected for a first run. I also made my first ever yeast starter, which seemed to work very well. I have a couple of questions for you guys.

When the batch was cooled, I whirlpooled the whole batch. Waited 30 minutes, then went back to transfer to my fermentors.

After the transfer I noticed that the one I filled first looked darker through the plastic bucket than the one that I filled second. There was considerably more break material in the second bucket, more than I have ever had before as a matter of fact. Right after the transfer it looked like half of the second fermentor was break material. It slowly settled down to roughly an inch worth of trub at the bottom of the bucket.

Is it normal to have the same batch look so different in the fermentor?

This was also my first time attempting to keep the fermentation at a lower temp by storing the buckets in my full bath tub(My Wife Does Not Like This One Bit:D )

Observing the airlock activity, the second fermenting pail(The One With More Break) had a the most violent fermentation that I have witnessed to date. It was bubbling in 1 second spurts where about 5 to 8 bubbles would come out. This bucket also stopped bubbling sooner than the first. The first fermenting bucket just had a nice steady 1 to 2 bubbles per second.

I thought that the fermentaion would be a bit more uniform. Any input on this?

I can't wait to try my first AG effort! Anyone else run into any issues like this?

Cheers!:mug:

Hmmmm....

Was this a ten gallon batch you split into two five gallon buckets?

If so, I'd recommend you mix the buckets by pouring portions of each back and forth to completely blend the beer. THat's what I do. It also is my way of aerating the wort and making sure the yeast is blended.

Back