Cut off dead plant matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeverTime

Reaction score
I ordered three varieties of crowns from a reliable online vendor, and they shipped when they said they would, using priority mail. However, for some reason, it took 11 days for the package to travel the roughly 600 miles to my house. Thanks, USPS.

When they arrived, all but one looked dead. I transplanted them immediately, and two have come back to life, and I haven't given up on the third yet. However, all of them have quite a bit of dead (brown) plant matter attached to the part that is still green. Should I trim it off?

See the attached photo for what it looks like. I'm curious if I should cut off the entirely brown leaves, like the one in front of the "SANTIAM" sign.

hops.jpg

[...]I'm curious if I should cut off the entirely brown leaves, like the one in front of the "SANTIAM" sign.

I would hold off on any trimming until fresh growth with some good leafing occurs, under the assumption that the plant will use whatever energy-providing stores exist in the dead/dying leaves...

Cheers!

Back