First time reusing washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
Not sure if the picture is going to come through, but here is the yeast I washed and saved from a batch of a fairly neutral tasting beer. It was stored for about two months. Its color was the same as the day I saved it and it smelled fine. There was a light layer of darker stuff on top. My concern is just settlement from washing OT autolysis?

image-2380327364.jpg

Are you just curious about what you're seeing or are you worried about pitching this yeast? I wouldn't worry. As long as you've kept it refrigerated, it should stay viable for much longer than a month, depending on the strain.

Was sort of concerned at what I saw but am pretty confident the ultra thin layer of slightly dark stuff was just settlement. Wasn't sure on how much to pitch but think I am going to just toss it all in. It's less 50 of what was in my fermenter when I legged originally and I know some people just pitch on top of an existing yeast cake so I don't think I have to worry obit using too much.

I'm making an agave wheat and am not really sure what to expect for SG.

You should really make a starter with yeast that has been saved for 2 months. Only some of the yeast is still going to be viable.

You should really make a starter with yeast that has been saved for 2 months. Only some of the yeast is still going to be viable.

Agreed. Just made a 1L starter from my two month old washed 1056. Perked up nicely for my brew day tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10

Agreed. Just made a 1L starter from my two month old washed 1056. Perked up nicely for my brew day tomorrow!

+1. I just assumed it was a given.

Back