FWH? should I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say that FWH has made a huge difference in my IPA and DIPA brews, especially. The hop flavor comes through in a much more pronounced way. Whole hops seem preferable but I have had good luck with pellets, too. I generally throw in two ounces when the hop Alpha Acid (AA) is between 6-9% and 1-1.5 oz. when AA is above 9%. After I collect my first runnings I throw in the hops and get the wort moving up toward boil. Then I'll batch sparge and add these second runnings to the boil kettle with the FWHs and keep it cranking toward boil.

cram said:
I have to say that FWH has made a huge difference in my IPA and DIPA brews, especially. The hop flavor comes through in a much more pronounced way. Whole hops seem preferable but I have had good luck with pellets, too. I generally throw in two ounces when the hop Alpha Acid (AA) is between 6-9% and 1-1.5 oz. when AA is above 9%. After I collect my first runnings I throw in the hops and get the wort moving up toward boil. Then I'll batch sparge and add these second runnings to the boil kettle with the FWHs and keep it cranking toward boil.

This is exactly what I do, too! Love it!

So with FWH you collect all of your first running's and then throw in the hops and light the fire? Also, are the proportions for a 5 gallon or 10 gallon batch?

Back