How long in the primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMUTT

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, although I've been searching the forums quite regularly for bits of advice etc.
I'm in the middle of my first ever brew. I bought some basic kit (fermenter, pressure barrel, hydrometer, siphon, paddle etc etc and also a kit in a can)
Iknow what you're all going to say so i'll let you know what my plans are first. I don't have any betta bottles or carboys for a secondary fermentation just yet as I thought I'd just do a basic introduction to kit beer making. I planned on just going by the instructions on the kit and fermenting in the primary bucket for a week, kegging for a week to condition and then drinking. (i do plan on expanding on future brews by secondary fermenting in a plastic betta bottle).
Anyhow, It's been three days in the fermenter, all the krausen has sunk to the bottom, and I was getting thirsty looking at it, took a hydro reading and it was nearly at the 'bottle' mark although not quite there yet. Do I need to leave it in the bucket for the whole week and then transfer to my pressure keg or should i just do it as soon as it looks ok to do so from the hydro readings?
BTW i was a bit naughty and took a sip from the testing vessel and it tasted a lot better than i was expecting.
FYI it's a coopers IPA brewed with added DME
Cheers

So im only pretty new here too... but I think Ive picked up a few things from here in my time poking around...

There are a few things ya need to look. First of all, the bubble coming out of the airlock should of really slowed down... so much so you may think its not bubbling at all. Secondly, the foamy stuff on top of the brew should of dropped back down into the beer. And finally... check your gravity... if it doesnt change for about 2-3 days... you should be good to go...

If im worng with any of that... im sure someone will correct me shortly...

You should leave it for at least one week IMO. Maybe two to help it clarify. Condition for two weeks.

I would leave it in the primary for at least a week before bottling or kegging. You don't have to if you don't want to, you can drink all the green beer in the world, but you will really be missing out.

Back