First Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RW1989

Reaction score
My cider has been fermenting for 7 days now, the airlock was bubbling once every 20 seconds until a couple of days ago. i tested the gravity today and it is below 1.000 so i decided to rack it off the sediment into a demijohn. i havent added any chemicals and fitted an airlock. the airlock is still bubbling once every 2mins, sometimes less. is this normal or have i racked it off too early and it is still fermenting. do i need to add pottasium sorbate to stop the fermentation or do i just leave it for a few months to do watever its going to do ? any help would be appreciated, this is my first attemp at cider making so just need a little help. thanks

Everything is going fine, probably another week or so to guarantee it finished fermentation, then wait a few more weeks/months for it to clear. I'd only worry about sorbate if you plan on sweetening it up.

It will be fine. Wine is racked into secondary while still fermenting. If you are going for dry cider then just let it sit and finish up.

Ok i will let it sit. what kind of tempature does it need to be at. just room tempature (20oc) or can it go in the garage where its colder (vey cold at the min) so it clears better. thanks for the help

Back