Keg Mystery! Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFfromNL

Reaction score
My dad found this empty keg, which actually had a little bit of beer in it. I have nothing in terms of kegging equipment except this one keg. I'm wondering if this make or model is suitable for kegging homebrew beer and, if so, what equipment will I need to get this particular keg into operation. (I'm concerned with the attachments i'll need to put beer in, clean the keg out, pressurize it, and, of course, draw draft beer from it)

Thanks in advance!
See pic below

24payiu.jpg

You can keg homebrew in it, but the volume is likely 15 gallons (3 times more than the typical batch).

Most people that acquire those use them for a brew kettle by cutting off the top.

Cant be positive, but from what I see it is a 1/6th barrel. They are 5.1 gallons and I use them quite a bit for kegging. You will need a sanke coupler (verify type), faucet (cobra tap or faucet & shank), co2 tank, regulator, beverage & gas line, and misc connectors. If you are going to get into kegging I use these tailpieces on my coupler so I can easily change between sanke kegs and corny kegs with quick disconnects. You need to take out the spiral retaining ring to get the spear out of the keg, make sure it is not pressurized. Then you can clean keg by by putting in a cleaner like PBW or oxyclean, sanitize, fill with beer, reassemble, purge air out and you are ready. No special tools are needed and with a little practice you will be able to disassemble and or reassemble in less then a minute.

Back