Rauchbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
Anyone got a good rauchbier ale recipe using extract?

Is it even possible to make one with extract? Had some awesome rauchbier a few months ago and just gotta brew some – it was like drinking liquid sausage.

I’ve seen some recipes for all grain brewing that use toasted grains – but how do you do it with extract?
keg_pounding_lg_clr.gif

Ian
On Tap: Goldigger Blonde
Secondary: Belgian Abey
Primary: Skull Cleaver Amber

Here's one from Beer Captured. It's called Aecht Schlenkeria Rauchbier Martzen, and is considered the first rauchbier, and is the most popular.

OG: 1.057-1.058 FG: 1.016-1.015
30 IBU 5.5% ABV

1.5lb German Munich Malt
8oz Belgian Cara Munich Malt
1.5lb German Smoked Malt
1.5lb British Chocolate Malt

3.5lb Bierkeller LME
3.5lb M&F Extra light DME

2oz Tettnanger @60 min

.25oz Tettnanger @15 min
.25 Hallertau Hersbrucker @15 min
1tsp Irish moss @15 min

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager
or
Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager

I got to the yeast and realized that this is a lager. :rolleyes: You could probably do this with somethign like a Kolsch, alt, or California common yeast. With some cold conditioning, it should be good as an ale.

Rauch means smoke though whereas wurst means sausage (cant do the funny dots on thsi keyboard). As for toasted grains and malt extract, you use the malt extract as your bed-rock and then use some toasted barely, choco', black or other to impart color/taste to the profile of the beer you are making.

Turricaine said:
Rauch means smoke though whereas wurst means sausage (cant do the funny dots on thsi keyboard). As for toasted grains and malt extract, you use the malt extract as your bed-rock and then use some toasted barely, choco', black or other to impart color/taste to the profile of the beer you are making.

Most recipes I've seen call for smoking your own barley - which I can't do very easily, so I was wondering if adding smoked specialty grains to DME add sufficient "smoked" flavor to it.

If you've had any German Smoked Ales (Rauchbier), you may relate to the "liquid sausage" reference. Which reminds me - we should have a "food" thread for beer acompanying recipes.

Ian

I have no idea how that recipe from Beer Captured wouldturn out, but I do know the Schlenkerla uses 100% Rauch malt from Weyermann, made to their own specifications. A guy in my HB club has been trying to make something close, and this past meeting, he brought in his latest rendition, which was outstanding. He used, 10 lbs of Rauch malt and I think it was .25 lb of Carafa II malt, bitterd with 25 IBU of Tettnager, fermented with Bavarian lager yeast.

I've been to the Schlenkerla about 50 times (last time in July 05).

To translate "Aecht Schlenkeria Rauchbier Marzen" for you:

"Aecht" is a variation of "echt" meaning "genuine".
"Schlenkerla" is the name of the bar.
"Rauchbier" is smoked beer.
"Marzen" we all know as a "March" beer, which is the same style as Oktoberfest beer (brewed in March), just darker because of the smoked malt. :D

I can't vouch for the truth here, but the story I remember hearing is the building caught fire and cinders fell into the vat. They drank it anyway.

As for the smoked sausage reference, I prefer to describe it as licking a grill. :D

I have a recipe for rauchbier, but being new to home brewing on my own, I haven't tried it yet. If your interested I can send it to you if you'll explain it to me. It only uses one extract for dry unhopped malt.

I made a Pinkus Alt last year and added 1/4 tsp of Liquid Smoke (no preservatives/vinegar, etc.) to a 5 liter keg.

A year later there was a faint but distinct smoke flavor that was not overpowering and very tasty.

You could just make an Amber Ale. I'd recommend adding 2 tsp of the Liquid Smoke just prior to bottling. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
I was at the Schlenkerla in Bamberg a couple of weeks ago.... :D

I am VERY happy to say that my dad took me to Germany last Thanksgiving break (I'm still in college) specifically Bamberg where he grew up. We visited the Shlenkerla pub/restaurant and had the original Rauchbier. We drank several pints and had a great time with the Germans there. If anyone here has a desire to visit Germany than please visit Bamberg and ask where the Shlenkerla is. I feel very priviledged to have visited such a historical brewing site at such a young age...can't wait to go back! BTW I look forward to brewing my own rauchbier once I get a dozen or so homebrews under my belt :mug:

Back