Can You Brew It recipe for Green Flash West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barrooze said:
Hey all, just brewed a variation of this last night. Turned it into a Black IPA by adding 6oz Black Patent, 8oz Chocolate, 8oz Pale Chocolate. Also, instead of all 2-row, I used 6# MO, 4# pale malt, 3# pilsner malt.

I had some efficiency issues as well (this was the first time I used my grain mill). I'll update once I get through fermentation and have a carbed beer in my hands. The wort smelled awesome!

Black patent and pale chocolate will make it more like an overhopped robust porter. You need midnight wheat or carafa for a BIPA. Hope it turns out well though.

Eric

Gonna make this one this week. Gonna have to make adjustments on the hops on my equipment and current hop availability but it's on the list!

For those that do not have the filtration system, in live in places that have hard water, boil your tap water for 5-10 minutes to get rid of the chlorine, and add bottled water (RO water if possible) to dilute down to what you believe the water profile is. I live 10 miles away from stone and 4 miles away from the old green flash brewery. I was able to get the beer close for both brewery's. My problem seemed to be what I now know is boil gravity hop utilization.

EricCSU said:
Black patent and pale chocolate will make it more like an overhopped robust porter. You need midnight wheat or carafa for a BIPA. Hope it turns out well though.

Eric

The beer turned out great. Nothing porter-ish about it IMO. I did encounter a couple avoidable issues along the way. I overcarbed the keg and did the swap QDs and purge method to get it back to the 2.5 volumes I was aiming for. This blew off a ton of aromatics (dang it!). Also, my method of pouring into the bottle from the faucet when bottling hurt me in my Black IPA comp cause I got knocked for low carbing. Regardless, I got a 34 which was pretty good for me. The judges stated that there was a pleasent astringency in it which they both enjoyed. That was likely the black malt. Still have this on tap and I'm liking it greatly. :)

Just ordered a bunch of bulk hops and want to make this one. Plugging the recipe into my software I am coming up with something like 150 ibu's. Am I missing something?

Yes, I set it to Rager. I will just ignore the number my software is throwing out and brew per the recipe. Thank you! I'm excited for this one.

We brewed this yesterday with fresh wet columbus hops..., Holy crap, it was like an entire 5 gallon bucket full

Obviously there's no simcoe around, so I'm looking for alternatives. Has anyone tried Summit in this recipe?

Hey all,
I'm only on my 4th batch of homebrew but have been planning on brewing the West Coast IPA since I first tasted it, and my mother-in-law got me a clone kit for Christmas so I'm prepping to brew this. Still doing extract for the foreseeable future, but am looking for some tips on really making the most of this brew.

The kit came with a single vial of White Labs, but after listening to the podcast (again), it sounds like more than one vial might be best for this beer. I don't have a yeast starter setup. Should I invest in one, get a second vial, or just pitch the single vial?

I ferment in my spare room and I keep the temp pretty low, no more than 65F but down to 59F at nights. Haven't had any fermenting problems with what I've brewed so far, but I feel like I need to keep the temp a little higher for this batch. Should I use a water bath or invest in some sort of heating equipment? Heating oil is just to expensive to heat my house to keep my beer warm!

I only have a basic setup now (5 gallon pot, 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket, 5g carboy, and basic tools and measurement equipment), but I'd love to know what you think would be my best bet for upgrading my setup, specifically for this brew.

Thanks,
John

With a beer this big 3 vials is more appropriate, you don't need much to make a starter though. I used a 1/2 gallon PET jug and just shake as often as possible. There is a good thread on how to make a starter somewhere around here, I apologize that I don't have the time to locate a link right now. I just recently brewed this and is my favorite batch I have made so far!

If I can make a starter without buying any additional equipment, I'll definitely do that. As you'd expect, there are a ton of threads and articles on yeast starters that I'll start sorting through. Thanks for the advice!

Follow up for any rookies like me: I made a starer using 2C water and 1/2 DME in a mason jar...couldn't have been easier. I know there are more elaborate and efficient ways to cultivate yeast, but after 24 hours my airlock was bubbling over like crazy. I had to switch to a blow off tube and I can see the lid of my fermenting bucket swelling and relaxing as the tube bubbles, so the yeast are really doing their thing.

I've been wanting to brew this clone but my only prob is that I won't be able to get my fermenters over 65 degrees. Should i wait until it warms up a bit before doing this beer?
I live in Rhode Island

I fermented Mine at about 63, but I did ramp up to around 68 to finish off. Do you have an electric blanket or heating pad to help get that last few points?

I can probably get one but being home is the tough part to keep an eye on it took temp.

I can probably get one but being home is the tough part to keep an eye on it took temp.

The other option would be a large tub, half filled with water and an aquarium heater. That will give you a better control over the heating of your batch and is probably the best way to do it.

I'll second OClairBrew. This is what I'm doing right now and my bath temp is pretty constant around 65F. The air temp doesn't get above 65 and drops to 57 at night, but in the morning the bath temp is still 65.

I'm not convinced the heater is doing anything though. Without something to circulate the bath water, the water just around the heater warms up but there is a temp gradient as you move away from the heater. I'm thinking about a fish tank bubbler to move the water a little.

Anyway, go with the water bath and good luck!

Brewed this about a month ago, then let it sit in the keg for 1 week and in the kegerator another week.
It needs another week or so but this is really, really very good. Can't say it's a clone but it's close.
In 2 weeks some friends and I are going to do a side by side but I think the aroma is lacking just a bit.

Either way, this will be on rotation in my house. I'm very pleased and GF is one of my latest favorite beers.

Hi all...
This thread is a few years old, but the beer is still good...

I took the recipe found here (in this thread)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ca...west-coast-ipa-175363/index3.html#post2206232
and tried to convert it in BeerSmith....can a get a critique?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.88 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.38 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 98.5 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) 12.2 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 9.8 %
8 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) 78.0 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.25 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.75 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min
0.50 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Day
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
0.50 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

how about a dry yeast substitute?
or is this big enough that I should try my first liquid + starter?

how about a dry yeast substitute?
or is this big enough that I should try my first liquid + starter?

I brewed a batch last weekend with S05, using the first recipe in this thread. I'll let you know how it goes, if you don't mind waiting a month or so...

1 packet should be plenty for a ~5 gallon batch.

I brewed a batch last weekend with S05, using the first recipe in this thread. I'll let you know how it goes, if you don't mind waiting a month or so...

1 packet should be plenty for a ~5 gallon batch.

Yes, that would be great!

I brewed this with US-05, due to the high starting gravity I used 2 packets and that's what I suggest. It turned out really REALLY good, my best beer to date. Start out at around 65f and after a week let the temp rise to 70-75 so this can really dry out and let the hops shine.

I''ve used s05 on this one a few times.

I would suggest 2 or 1.5 packs. I've found that 11g of S05 only gets it down to about 1.016 from 1.070.

Has anyone had luck fermenting this at lower temps? I was surprised to see they suggest 72F. Mine has been fermenting at ~63 for a week now.
Should I really warm it to 72? I was only planning on going to 66-68.

I used 2 11g packs of US05 if that matters.

Great great beer..... It's a bit early in the year for a IPA at least for me but when spring gets here like early April I'm all over this recipe. Thanks for posting it.

Has anyone had luck fermenting this at lower temps? I was surprised to see they suggest 72F. Mine has been fermenting at ~63 for a week now.
Should I really warm it to 72? I was only planning on going to 66-68.

I used 2 11g packs of US05 if that matters.

When I brewed this, my initial temps were low like yours. After a week I raised the temp to around 70 and was able to go from 1.074 to 1.014.

I met the distribution manager from GF in New Orleans this week and mentioned that I brewed this and he told me that there was no Amarillo in it at all. Of course, he wouldn't say much but when I mentioned 'Can You Brew It' he said that was close enough.
By the way, I have maybe 1 growler left and I'll have to make more soon.

I wanna do a lager beer, I have the wyeast munich lager stepping up, can anyone predict how this yeast would fair with a recipe like this?

All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1069
79% apparent attenuation
FG 1013-1014
SRM 8.8
7.4% abv
IBUs

90 minute boil

WLP001. Ferment starting at 68F, let it increase to 72F over the course of fermentation.

14 lbs US 2 row
1.31 lbs Crystal 40 (substituted for Carastan)
1.31 lbs Carapils

0.5oz simcoe @90m
0.25oz simcoe @60m
0.25oz columbus @60m
0.25oz simcoe @30m
0.25oz columbus @30m
0.75oz simcoe @15m
0.75oz columbus @15m
1oz cascade @10m
0.5oz columbus @1m
0.5oz simcoe @1m
0.5oz each of amarillo, simcoe, columbus, centennial, and cascade for dry hop.

Mash @ 152F for 35m or until conversion
Mash out @ 168F
Sparge @ 170F

Tasty mentioned adding gypsum, but did not specifiy further. Nathan recommended finding the water report for Santa Cruz, CA. He then said that water additions probably don't play a huge role in this particular beer.

Tasty and Nathan recommending either adding 0.5oz columbus @90m or increasing the simcoe to 1oz @90m.

Updating with my results... this has been a really great beer. My friends who are IPA fans think this was their favorite (out of the 20 or so batches I've made so far).
I used S-05 but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I fermented at 70 degrees in a controlled chamber for 4 weeks, then hopped on the primary and went straight to keg. My mash temps were a little low at 148.

Me and guys did a blind tasting side-by-side to the real West Coast IPA. 2 out of 3 preferred the homebrew to the real thing - but they were pretty close. The real thing tasted more 'juicy' and I noticed a more pronounced bitter note from the hops. The homebrew was more balanced, and had what I thought was more complex citrusy hop flavors. Best description was "like biting into an orange".

Here's a picture of my buddy with both side by side. On the left (his right hand) is the homebrew. It wasn't as clear as possible, as we weren't able to strain the wort this time, so there are a lot of hops particles floating around.

IMG_20130309_203122.jpg

It looks like there have been some folks going with us05 instead of wlp001.

As I've never had this beer, how dry is it? and would wlp007 be a good one as it seems to be a work horse

Ours was very dry with S05, no complaints at all. I did temperature control fermentation, which had to have helped.

Unrelated, the Amarillo hops appear to be absent from the real thing, but it was our favorite part of our batch. I will be brewing it again, with no changes.

Back