Love TSS2 help needed for fermchamber install

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josiahcox

Reaction score
Okay so I have my ferm chamber built and the ac unit and heating unit are installed and hooked up to the TSS2.
Here is where I hit a wall. :(
The unit does not beep at me but the read out displays 3 digits like this.
I'm at work right now and I'll post pictures when I get home but it's driving me nuts. Any ideas on why it would read 3 digits? Help!?! :confused:

Nothing yet eh? I'm really hoping someone on here can at least point me in the right direction with this.
I'll be really sad if I can't get this going with the time and cash I have sunk into it and that's not to mention SWMBO's wrath if I don't get my 3 fermention carboys out of our only bathroom soon.
Any help would be awesome.

The unit does not beep at me but the read out displays 3 digits like this.223

Looks good to me , displaying 223°F.

Are any LEDs above or below the numbers ON?

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Yeah that would be right except the temp in the unit is around 50* right now, not 223*. :)
It was showing 210 when I plugged it in at lunch today.

Yes the led above the first 2 was on if I remembered right. I will post pics tonight of it.

I was actually considering pm'ing you Claudius because I found your other reply to a poster asking about tss2 problems he was having and you were able to help him.
I had my electritian freind help me wire it up because my expertise lies elsewhere. The manual that came with the unit was pretty hard to grasp considering I have no background in this type of stuff.
Thanks for your help.
I'll post detailed pics tonight.

Let me know how the inputs are wired, how many probes you are using.
Cycle the power and watch the display.

You can PM me, don't expect too much.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I'm using one probe. I'll have the wiring drawn up this evening and post it and the pics.

At this point I'm not expecting anything and I'm thankful for every bit of help anyone can give even if it is RDWHAHB.

It did show an error message until we told it we were only using 1 probe. Once we had fixed that the error message stopped.
We have the set points at 68 and 70.
Here is what it looks like.
IMG_0597.jpg

And here are the set points being shown.
IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzyness. Here are wiring shots and the wiring drawing my brewing buddy/electrician drew up. He is the one who wired it up too.
IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

So The heater turns on when we plug it in but the readout still says 204. It will slowly rise upward as the heaters heats up but it still will read in the two hundreds range. :confused:
Ever get that feeling you bit off more than you could chew?
Thanks for the suggestion runbikebrew.

Are you using the probe that came with the controller? I think it is calibrated to use a 1000ohm thermistor and if you use anything else you need to adjust the calibration. Also it looks like you have the 2 probe inputs jumpered - not sure if this effects anything but I would pull that out and set the configure the controller to only 1 probe.

Yup that jumper is going bye bye. :eek: If you are only using one probe then 2 can be left open.
I am using the probe from Dwyer that is for this unit.
ClaudiusB is helping me greatly but I'll continue to post on here so other people can learn from my mistakes and avoid them in the future. ;)

Good, sounds like the jumper removal fixed your problem.

FWIW, here are the settings I'm using:

SP1=68 (for example)
SP2=-0.5
r1=0.5
r2=0.5

These are working well, holding temps between 67 and 68.5 degrees (SP1+SP2-r2 and SP1+r1, respectively).

Thanks guys.
It looks like pulling the jumper and setting p5 at 1 fixed the probe and 3 digit issue.
These are the settings I have as of right now.
I'll probably change a few once I get some feedback and get to know the system/controller better.

r0 - ind
r1 - 6
r2 - 6
r3 - 1
r8 - on1
c0 - 0
c1 - dir
c2 - dir
p4 - sd1
p5 - 1
sd1 - 68

My problem now is going to get the heat up high enough to battle the 20* temps we are getting at night seeing as my ferm chamber is in my unisulated brewhouse. I'll try with two heating pads tonight. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back