First attempt at washing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
I've read the great sticky with pictures and all, but I have a few follow-ups. I'm looking to harvest the yeast from an APA, which started with Safale US-05. Are there any drawbacks to harvesting this type of yeast? Also, how long will harvested yeast keep (refrigerated, of course)? I don't plan to brew anything with an american ale yeast for a few batches.

I just recently started harvesting yeast (about 4 months ago), so I haven't actually use anything I've harvested. I've been told by others that with proper sanitation/sterilization, your yeast can last over a year.

you can harvest it just fine. also it will keep for some time the longer you keep it for tho the slower it will start up. you should also make a starter for washed yeast.

with the cost of making a starter and the time involved in washing most people don't bother washing dry yeasts.

with the cost of making a starter and the time involved in washing most people don't bother washing dry yeasts.

That's about what I was thinking with this one. Maybe I'll wash and save the next time I use liquid yeast. I wasn't all that thrilled with the slow fermentation I had with this batch anyway.

Latest posts

Back