Strong Rye Ale Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argiloso

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of brewing a strong ale with some hops I procured from Patagonia on a recent trip to Argentina. I have 7 oz. of what I believe are Cascade hops, pelletized (exact AA% is uncertain). That's the basis of this recipe - to use all these hops in one beer! Here is what I am thinking so far for a 5.5 gal batch:

Mash: (will shoot for 60min @ 152-154)
15 lb Organic 2-Row
2 lb Flaked Rye
5.75 oz Aromatic Malt

Hop Schedule:
2.5 oz @ 60 min
1.5 oz @ 30 min
2 oz @ 0 min
1 oz @ Dry hop (one week before bottling)

Yeast: probably something neutral like WLP001

I might throw in 1 tsp Burton Salts, and definitely some Whirlfloc. My setup is a 10gal cooler mash tun, keggle boil kettle. Usually I do a 60-75 min boil.

So my cheap brew software (brewtarget) says OG will be 1.080, IBU 55 (assuming 6% AA for the cascade).

How does this look -- Any suggestions at all?

Thanks ya'll!

argiloso said:
So I'm thinking of brewing a strong ale with some hops I procured from Patagonia on a recent trip to Argentina. I have 7 oz. of what I believe are Cascade hops, pelletized (exact AA% is uncertain). That's the basis of this recipe - to use all these hops in one beer! Here is what I am thinking so far for a 5.5 gal batch:

Mash: (will shoot for 60min @ 152-154)
15 lb Organic 2-Row
2 lb Flaked Rye
5.75 oz Aromatic Malt

Hop Schedule:
2.5 oz @ 60 min
1.5 oz @ 30 min
2 oz @ 0 min
1 oz @ Dry hop (one week before bottling)

Yeast: probably something neutral like WLP001

I might throw in 1 tsp Burton Salts, and definitely some Whirlfloc. My setup is a 10gal cooler mash tun, keggle boil kettle. Usually I do a 60-75 min boil.

So my cheap brew software (brewtarget) says OG will be 1.080, IBU 55 (assuming 6% AA for the cascade).

How does this look -- Any suggestions at all?

Thanks ya'll!

Go with a bit less on the bittering addition. Also step up the flaked rye to three pounds and add some malted rye. If you do this add some rice hulls too. Just brewed a similar batch and wished i added more flavoring hops. Cheers!

Ok here's the recipe... going to brew this one in a few weeks, I'll post updates.

12lb Organic 2-row
4lb Rye malt
2lb Rye, flaked
1lb Rice hulls
5.75oz Aromatic malt
4.5oz Crystal 20

2oz cascade @ 60 min
2oz cascade @ 30 min
2oz cascade @ 0 min
1 oz cascade dry hop

WLP001

Ok here's the recipe... going to brew this one in a few weeks, I'll post updates.

12lb Organic 2-row
4lb Rye malt
2lb Rye, flaked
1lb Rice hulls
5.75oz Aromatic malt
4.5oz Crystal 20

2oz cascade @ 60 min
2oz cascade @ 30 min
2oz cascade @ 0 min
1 oz cascade dry hop

WLP001
Lookss good. Just an fyi, I've. Been involved. In a few threads lately that talk about hop addition times. What ive gained from it, is that only 60 min and between 20 and 5 min additions really do anything as far as hop utilization is concerned. Saying that 60 min gives the appropriate bittering and after that it is a waste up until the last 20 min (as far as hop flavor goes). Also any addition after ten still bitters but adds more to the aroma then anything else. Of course this info is based off of the whopping 16 brews ive done and the info ive gathered from this site. I could be way off base. I recommend you do your brew the way you feel is best. If it were mine I would do 1.25-1.5 oz @60 then 4oz over the last 20. I hope your beer is great and I cant wait to hear how its ends up!

That's good to know - and it makes sense! I'm always down for more hop flavor & aroma... 2oz for 60min, 4 oz in the last 20 min, now that sounds like a plan!

I'd be concerned about the amount of bitterness you'll be getting out of a 2oz early addition, but I guess since the AA is a mystery, it's worth taking a chance. I feel like that much rye will compound the bitterness you get, making it a really harsh brew. It might be fun to try first wort hopping with half of it, just for kicks.

I agree with the suggestion to move the 30min later on; I'd go with 1oz each for 15-10-5-0 timings, just to get some diversity of flavors there. FWIW, I don't think it's a waste to necessarily add hops in intervals outside of the 60/20- golden range, you just have to know what you're shooting for there. A 30 minute hop addition will typically add little to no hop flavor, but it adds much less bitterness than the same addition at 60. Such additions can still be great for tweaking a recipe to get it "just right", but it's becoming increasingly common to ignore that range entirely in the interest of making your hop usage more efficient. Which I totally agree with, in general; I just wouldn't make it a rule to "never" use hops in those timings either. :mug:

I agree with the suggestion to move the 30min later on; I'd go with 1oz each for 15-10-5-0 timings, just to get some diversity of flavors there.

If you want a nice hop presence I'd go with this schedule. You'll get a lot out of it. I'd toss in an ounce or two dry hop as well. This is the schedule I usually use for big hoppy IPAs.

Back