Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bring along any beer you want to showcase to a bunch of beergeeks, just like at Masstoberfest. I'm bringing a keg of my IPA over, Chris will have a bunch of his beer on his tap. (I need to get my keg to Chris this weekend, I keg conditioned it and I want it to settle before next weekend. Unlike Masstoberfest I'm not going to try to turn this into a mega-BBQ. For starters it would be a huge biatch to haul Bertha over to Chris's and for seconds, we're spending a small fortune (relatively) on ingrediants on this brew and it's the week after Christmas, and thirdly SWMBO and I are headed to the Keys for our annual dive trip soon and fundage has reared it's ugly head. So we'll probably order pizzas or something later on in the day.

PTN

ya but if your team hadf played better you would'nt have needed the jets to win huh?

And furthermore, why would anyone from Detroit even admit that they watch the NFL?

PTN

(Don't mind me, I've been at the Apfelwein this morning. <It's evening in PTN's world, Day 6 of a stretch of nine in a row 7pm to 7 am shifts. Clearly I pissed of a vengeful deity in a past life.>)

PTN -

I assume this is a no, but I would be willing to let you guys run my equipment to help out this project of yours. Its a 2100 fully loaded morebeer sculpture just down I-95 from you guys (CT; so its actually a haul). Specifically, its 24 gallon kettles with the ability to keep your mash temperature pretty close to your targets. I would run 2 hours at 140 and then another hour at 145 or so. Then ya could load up the wort into 5 gallon kegs and bring them back to Boston to start fermenting.

Just an idea if you equipment would be stressed by this brew ....

Wow, that's a nice offer and I'd sure like to take you up on it but I don't think that this would be the brew to jump into a whole new system. I know how my system works and what to expect. But thanks anyways. You should drive up for the day, I guarantee you a good time.

PTN

Hey PTN,
I've received initial clearance from the boss. Unless something falls through, I'll be there.

Will you guys have just a regular gas grill there? Maybe I'll bring something you guys can toss on the grill for lunch.

I've been thinking that I'm going to bring along the Brinkman Bullet. Whatever you bring will be gratefully apreciated. Mmmmmm. I've been craving ribs for WAY oo long, may have to hit up BJ's.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Excuse me while I break my elbow patting myself on the back but I make a ridiculous rack o' ribs. I was gonna hit BJ's and then bring a few racks for the grill.

If you guys are gonna do ribs, I can volunteer my homemade BBQ sauce. I've BBQ'd with a guy that did the International competition in Memphis for 15 years and won in 98 for the whole pig competition. He says my sauce is giving him the itch to start competing again...
Let me know so I can grab enough jars to finish whatever amount you want to cook...

Brian! How you doing, Bro? Do to an unfortunate foul up with UPS we didn't get the 099 till this past week so we needed to move the date back till 1/10 (next Saturday)
That said, next Sat is a done deal. We are brewing at my friend Chris's house in Norton. I'll sendyou the addres later when I'm sober. My mancave/garage is still in the planning stages, his is complete. I'll try to make up for his absolute lack of testicular fortitude when his pregnant swmbo whines about us clambering upstairs to piss in the inner sactum. (Not exactly sure how. Maybe I'll set his shed on fire if she gets too out of hand. The ol' "Keep 'em distracted" technique.)

OK, I'm WAY too drunk to be posting online right now but I've had a wicked bad week at work. I've lost several long term aquiantences/friends/patients on my watch over this past week and I'm more than a little drunk. ****in' apflewein. God blessed Apflewien.

PTN

Brian! How you doing, Bro? Do to an unfortunate foul up with UPS we didn't get the 099 till this past week so we needed to move the date back till 1/10 (next Saturday)
That said, next Sat is a done deal. We are brewing at my friend Chris's house in Norton. I'll sendyou the addres later when I'm sober. My mancave/garage is still in the planning stages, his is complete. I'll try to make up for his absolute lack of testicular fortitude when his pregnant swmbo whines about us clambering upstairs to piss in the inner sactum. (Not exactly sure how. Maybe I'll set his shed on fire if she gets too out of hand. The ol' "Keep 'em distracted" technique.)

OK, I'm WAY too drunk to be posting online right now but I've had a wicked bad week at work. I've lost several long term aquiantences/friends/patients on my watch over this past week and I'm more than a little drunk. ****in' apflewein. God blessed Apflewien.

PTN

PTN
Dude it was 8:00AM and you were already in the brew? WOW thats a hell of a way to start the day bro. Good for you ..............:D

You worked the night shift didn't you?

PTN

I'm doing good. I hope you and your family had a nice holiday..Sorry you such a bad week. I might be able to make it. Call me or PM me and let me know if there's anything I can bring. Is there any room for another home brewer to do a batch? I've had a hankering to do BierMunchers "Helles Belles" recipe. If I remember correctly, you had that beer on tap the last time I was over and It was really tasty....Cheers.

Ya Jay,
8 am in your world in 8 pm in mine, I work 7pm - 7 am. I try to lump all my days together so I work seven in a row then I'm off for seven. It sort of sucks to be me on day seven but it's pretty good to be me on day 8. Today at 7 am starts day 8. Yay!

Brian,
definately bring your rig along and brew with us. There will definately be more than one brew going on. I might make a second while we're mashing the Utopia, I'll certainly have the time. You are right, I did have a variant of BM's Helles on tap and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

PTN

i can't wait to see all the pics from this event and the final results in a year or so! good luck on the brew

Brian,
definately bring your rig along and brew with us. There will definately be more than one brew going on. I might make a second while we're mashing the Utopia, I'll certainly have the time. You are right, I did have a variant of BM's Helles on tap and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

PTN

What time are you starting the day?

So here is what we have for the Mark 1 Mod 40 recipie. I'm going to sneak an extra half pound of smoked in there when Chris isn't looking.

Size: 10 gal; Boiled down from 20
Efficiency: 75.0% I generally get well north of 80 with my setup, so we'll see.
Attenuation: 75.0% Please and thank you.
Calories: 816.83 kcal per 12.0 fl oz Hello Weight Watchers!

Original Gravity: 1.234 (1.040 - 1.054)
|================================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.059 (1.010 - 1.016)
Color: 21.82 (9.0 - 17.0)
Alcohol: 24.71% (3.9% - 5.0%)
Bitterness: 43.4 (15.0 - 30.0)

Ingredients:
60.0 lb English 2-row Pale
15 lb 6-Row Brewers Malt
3 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L
3 lb Toasted Pale Malt
1 lb Melanoidin Malt
4 lb Munich 10L Malt
1 lb German Smoked
1.8 lb Maple Syrup
2 oz Spalt Spalter (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
2 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
2 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
2 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
4.0 ea White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale

The Barley Wine starter was still boppin' along yesterday, it should finish up shortly and we'll have a nice thick happy yeast cake to pitch onto.

Also, our pal Ned has provided us with 1 and 3/4 pounds of his own homemade maple syrup for the brew. I tasted it yesterday and it is killer!

You don't think 87 pound of grain for 10 gallons of beer is a little excessive, do you? (~~~Insert sound of insane laughter here.~~~)

PTN

I don't think its insane at all. I am curious to see if you can hit your efficency at 75%. I am not saying you can't I know its harder to do with a such a high amount of grains. What a learning experience this is going to be. I have drank a few of Pauls beers and they were excellent.

Paul, I am definitly coming down. If you need some food prepped or put together let me know. Is there a head count? Do We have access to a grill or smoker? I can get up at 5am and cook a few boneless pork butts too. Should only take about 4 hours in the oven.

-Sumo

have you considered adding beeno? I hear it helps with attenuation on large beers and was mentioned in the other barley wine threads?

paul just lured me over here from the winepress forum. engineering your own utopia clone sounds like more geeky fun than lighting a BBQ with LOX! (have you considered adding this to the event?) if i didn't have previous plans, i'd be looking for cheap airfairs!
i was at the epcot food and wine festival a few months back. sam adams had a "seminar" and the utopia was mentioned. i asked how they attained 26% or 27% and was told it was done by aging for ten years. i don't know how that could get the yeast to surpass its tolerance. i think if it didn't go high enough, you could finish with distiller's yeast after whatever initial yeast had contributed its flavors and expired, but i think those only go to 22 or so in theoretical perfect conditions.
looking forward to see how this project plays out.

For the headcount, I'll be there flying solo most likely although I MIGHT bring one guy (Bill Tredo.... do you know him Paul? He's the founder of SSBC and he lives in Norton)

I'm planning on grabbing a three-rack pack of ribs from BJ's and bringing them for lunch.

CB,
I believe I've met him at TWB. He is certainly welcome, bring him along.

Not telling you anything you don't know but you better show up early if you want those ribs for lunch. (I'm getting mine at Costco, we can compare whose ribs are better. Whoa! Great idea! Rib Throwdown!)

Bill,
I don't think time will have too much to do with end attenuation. When the yeast poop out they are pretty much pooped out. Sure there will continue to be some residual 'cleaning up' but I doubt that it is resonsible for a great deal of increase in ABV, etc. It does lead one to think about 'sur lees' aging with this beer and what the long term consequences would be. I bet it would add something nice. Hmmmmm. Something else to consider.

There is a guy up in my hometown called Alister Hewitt (sp?) who routinely wins every medal in every damned competition he enters. (He's aced me out more than once.) He posted a comment on the White Labs site about how he was dissapointed with the results he got with the 099. I just found his comment this morning while reading up some more on the yeasties. I wish the hell I knew this guy, I'd love to buy him a beer and pick his brain.

PTN

Hey Paul-

Allister is in my club. (Wort Processors) The man makes some DAMN fine beers and is a wealth of knowledge. I'm sure we could introduce you guys at some point, esp. if you ever make it up into the Boston area.

As far as the Beano goes, I will probably try it. (Other than my wife giving me a bottle of Beano once in my Chrsitmas stocking~~ She's really freakin' subtle, ya know?~~ I haven't used it. Not that I used it when she gave it to me either, for that matter.)

I'll see what we can do. Albert sent out an email regarding the utopia brew to our group email list for the club. I will need to check to see who is interested at the meeting wednesday night. As a club we do get together now and then for a big group brew session, so if you wanted to come next time, I can give you a shout...

CB,

Not telling you anything you don't know but you better show up early if you want those ribs for lunch. (I'm getting mine at Costco, we can compare whose ribs are better. Whoa! Great idea! Rib Throwdown!)

PTN

I'll bring mine pre-cooked. They'll just have to be tossed on the grill for about ten minutes to finish 'em up. I go with the lame, city-folk, rib cooking method of "in the oven". yeah, yeah... "put 'em in a smoker!!" yeah yeah... trust me.... These come out damn good the way I do them.

Gimme, some credit, I have at least a little experience with cookin' pig... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/how-roast-whole-pig-74299/

And... you're ON for a throwdown!

paul just lured me over here from the winepress forum. engineering your own utopia clone sounds like more geeky fun than lighting a BBQ with LOX! (have you considered adding this to the event?) if i didn't have previous plans, i'd be looking for cheap airfairs!
i was at the epcot food and wine festival a few months back. sam adams had a "seminar" and the utopia was mentioned. i asked how they attained 26% or 27% and was told it was done by aging for ten years. i don't know how that could get the yeast to surpass its tolerance. i think if it didn't go high enough, you could finish with distiller's yeast after whatever initial yeast had contributed its flavors and expired, but i think those only go to 22 or so in theoretical perfect conditions.
looking forward to see how this project plays out.

they use 3 different yeats, one of which they essentially skip the least floculant and thus highest alcohol tollerant cells and reporopigate it.

I'll bring mine pre-cooked. They'll just have to be tossed on the grill for about ten minutes to finish 'em up. I go with the lame, city-folk, rib cooking method of "in the oven". yeah, yeah... "put 'em in a smoker!!" yeah yeah... trust me.... These come out damn good the way I do them.

Gimme, some credit, I have at least a little experience with cookin' pig... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/how-roast-whole-pig-74299/

And... you're ON for a throwdown!

Geez, now don't go gettin' all defensive on me! I didn't say a word about cooking them in the oven. Truth be known, I've done that meown self. And if we really want to spill some guts here, I've parboiled them and then finished them on the grill. This isn't a BBQ forum, it's a beer forum and such indescretions can be overlooked (so long as it doesn't become a habit)

As you might remember, I followed your hog thread with intrest last year. I like your technique, pretty cool. I tend to do mine in my smoker but that is why they make ales and lagers. Variety is not a bad thing. And I just found out this past week that some dear friend of mine are finally getting married next September and I'm going to be in charge of the BBQ (ribs and chix) and the beer. Whoooo Hoooo BBQ and beer for 150 people! I'm going to be a busy boy in late summer. I think I'll get going on 10 gallons of Octoberfest soon so it will be rightous for the big day.

So a throwdown it is. Who we gonna get to judge? I nominate Sumo as one judge.

PTN

Geez, now don't go gettin' all defensive on me! I didn't say a word about cooking them in the oven. Truth be known, I've done that meown self. And if we really want to spill some guts here, I've parboiled them and then finished them on the grill. This isn't a BBQ forum, it's a beer forum and such indescretions can be overlooked (so long as it doesn't become a habit)

As you might remember, I followed your hog thread with intrest last year. I like your technique, pretty cool. I tend to do mine in my smoker but that is why they make ales and lagers. Variety is not a bad thing. And I just found out this past week that some dear friend of mine are finally getting married next September and I'm going to be in charge of the BBQ (ribs and chix) and the beer. Whoooo Hoooo BBQ and beer for 150 people! I'm going to be a busy boy in late summer. I think I'll get going on 10 gallons of Octoberfest soon so it will be rightous for the big day.

So a throwdown it is. Who we gonna get to judge? I nominate Sumo as one judge.

PTN

LOL... no no no... not getting defensive at all. I was joking around since some people are pretty religious about thier smokers. I thought you were saying to get there early so I could get 'em on the grill or in a smoker for the needed hours.

My bad... should have been a little more tongue-in-cheek about it.

You're definitely on for a little friendly rib competition though!

Back