help with keezer collar please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerSpeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wanting to use grey composite decking for my collar to get the look I'm after....is there anyone who has used this for the collar? Comments, opinions, and suggestions are welcomed

help please

What help are you looking for? where to start? composite decking is just like real decking, except for the obvious that its a man made material ( not natural wood ). If thats what you want to use simply look up one of the many threads giving step by step instructions on how to go about the building process.

I haven't used composite decking to make a keezer, but I have used it in many other applications as a replacement for "real wood" like I said treat it the same as real wood, except for use the correct screws, glues etc.

It will definitely be a more expensive build, as the composite stuff is much more expensive than most wood!

What help are you looking for? where to start? composite decking is just like real decking, except for the obvious that its a man made material ( not natural wood ). If thats what you want to use simply look up one of the many threads giving step by step instructions on how to go about the building process.

I haven't used composite decking to make a keezer, but I have used it in many other applications as a replacement for "real wood" like I said treat it the same as real wood, except for use the correct screws, glues etc.

It will definitely be a more expensive build, as the composite stuff is much more expensive than most wood!

Thanks for your reply. I was concerned more about the thickness of the boards being able to support the lid...Do you think it would hold up? In my mind I think it would work but I'm not that experienced with the boards! Ideally I will have a grey composite collar with 1" insulation board backing it and plan on wrapping the freezer in black vinyl for now and later re-wrap it when I can decide on the theme I want

Thanks for your reply. I was concerned more about the thickness of the boards being able to support the lid...Do you think it would hold up? In my mind I think it would work but I'm not that experienced with the boards! Ideally I will have a grey composite collar with 1" insulation board backing it and plan on wrapping the freezer in black vinyl for now and later re-wrap it when I can decide on the theme I want

If you are simply looking to build a collar I can't imagine it wouldn't be strong enough... composite boards are as strong ( and most cases stronger) than regular wood boards... the lid of the keezer is really not all that heavy..

here is a build I found on here quickly by simply searching the forums
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-collared-keezer-build-182614/

they used regular wood boards, and no thicker than what most composite boards are...

The one tricky piece you may have is the lack of options for screws etc to build with. Composite decking has a limited amount of different screws and what not due to typically being for a single task ( decking) while regular wood is used in 240823048 different tasks, so many tools/screws/nails etc to connect them how you need for a keezer!

Another option for you would be build the collar out of regular wood and simply add the composite as a outer layer. ( make 4 mitered pieces to just screw down to the collar, which would give you the look you want, and allow for the keezer to be easier to assemble?

you aren't located in western NY by chance are you ( I could just come help u out!)

Finished...went without a hitch!

ForumRunner_20121214_073232.png

I built my collar out of the same material a few weeks ago. Many downsides here:

• only 1" thick which might not get the tap handles out of the way of the lid. I had to add an additional red oak face to the front to move the taps out.
  • Sweats like crazy on my back patio, even with a layer of reflectix on the inside. I need more insulation
  • Latex paint does not adhere to it well at all.

I'm disappointed to the point that I'd consider tossing the entire collar and building a new one with 2x6.

the trex board I used was close to 2" thick, I put 2 layers of 3/4" foam insulation on the inside of my collar and haven't had any issues yet but it is in my mancave and not outside. If the tap that is in the center on my keezer wasn't a stout tap It would be really close to hitting the lid but they all clear it the way it is.

Back