Second brew, can I do wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsiesener

Reaction score
I am on my first brew and it's an American Cream Ale. I know I still have lots of ?'s, which I have already posted. I am wondering should I go to a wheat beer on my second brew or try some other ales first. Is brewing a wheat much more difficult? I would really like to do a flavored wheat beer.

Extract or all grain? Wheat beers are not difficult, but if you're doing all grain, add 3 or 4% rice hulls so you don't have mash issues. What yeast are you using?

It would be extract, a Witbier. Was thinking of adding strawberry. Have only done 1 brew and it's in secondary, to soon for all grain.

jsiesener said:
It would be extract, a Witbier. Was thinking of adding strawberry. Have only done 1 brew and it's in secondary, to soon for all grain.

Use a quality liquid Belgian Wit yeast and pitch a proper amount if it means buying 2-3 packs of yeast.

You say liquid yeast, is this better than the powder packet that kits come with? And I can add more than recommended yeast?

You say liquid yeast, is this better than the powder packet that kits come with? And I can add more than recommended yeast?

It's not that liquid yeasts are "better", but dry yeast come in very few varieties. I don't know of a really good witbier yeast that comes in dry form.

And, you don't add more than the recommended yeast- at least, not really. That's because adding one package of liquid is not really recommended for most beers- it's more like 2+ for most beers. I know that package says "up to 1.060 OG" or something, but that's not so. Most beers need more than one package of liquid yeast for optimum amounts of yeast.

Thank You very much, I am really diggin this whole brew thing and the community! I am sure I will have many more ?'s to come. Since I am new what does the "Moderator" mean.

jsiesener said:
Thank You very much, I am really diggin this whole brew thing and the community! I am sure I will have many more ?'s to come. Since I am new what does the "Moderator" mean.

Moderators are the voices of reason and peace keepers. Yooper is awesome. She knows her stuff.

Back