Root beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikingbrewer70

Reaction score
Hi folks...have followed this on my iPhone for a little while... I've made quite a few beers and some root beers all have had some well lets say volatile bottles.... Can I use the pasteurization method to kill the yeasties? I figure I could submerge them in 140-190 water for 5-10 min.
Then, let them cool once cool move to fridge.
Thoughts.... Ideas....thanks in advance

Hi folks...have followed this on my iPhone for a little while... I've made quite a few beers and some root beers all have had some well lets say volatile bottles.... Can I use the pasteurization method to kill the yeasties? I figure I could submerge them in 140-190 water for 5-10 min.
Then, let them cool once cool move to fridge.
Thoughts.... Ideas....thanks in advance

The only issue I can think of is that soda is very highly carbonated, compared to beer and cider. Heating bottles of highly carbonated soda to a high temperature sounds like bottle bomb city to me, I think.

I'm curious about this too....I don't have space in my fridge to keep as much soda as I want to make cold, and I just assumed I could use the stovetop pasteurizing method for the soda. Has anyone tried it?

Make sure if you're pasteurizing soda that you submerge the bottles completely during the process. That will at least contain the explosion to an extent. Also, be careful removing them from the water. Treat them like live grenades. It would be ideal if you could cool them down while still submerged, but that sounds over complicated at best.

Back