Bourbon barrel aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortIfied

Reaction score
Many have seen my recent thread outlining my planned frankenbrew extract Black Rye Imperial IPA.

If not here are some specs: 8oz caramunich, 8oz caramel 40L, 8oz chocolate malt, 8oz chocolate rye, 3.3# dark lme, 3.3# amber lme, and 6# or possibly 3# of gold lme. 4oz warrior for bittering, 4oz centennial for flavoring, 4oz Simcoe for aroma, and 4oz Simcoe whole leaf for double dry hopping.

I have a used recently poured bourbon barrel on the way. I was thinking heavily about taking this planned IIPA, dubbed Black the RIIPA, and letting it soak in this barrel as its secondary. I have had Burton Baton and Dogfish 120min, two of my absolute most favorite bevs.

Does this sound like a good idea? If so how long should I let soak? Does it matter it's a 8gal barrel and my batch is 5 gal? Would dry hopping be a good idea in the barrel and if so should I wait till the last week of soaking?

I think that's about it hah.

Can anyone shed light on some tips to barrel aging? Just kind of concerned about putting 5 gallons in a 8 gallon barrel, seems like alot of headroom. I have tank of c02, so maybe flush the 0xygen out and stick an airlock on it?

Can anyone shed light on some tips to barrel aging? Just kind of concerned about putting 5 gallons in a 8 gallon barrel, seems like alot of headroom. I have tank of c02, so maybe flush the 0xygen out and stick an airlock on it?

Barrels really need to be full. They are porous and your co2 blanket will dissipate with time leaving you vulnerable to oxidation and perhaps acetobacter.

Barrels really need to be full. They are porous and your co2 blanket will dissipate with time leaving you vulnerable to oxidation and perhaps acetobacter.

+1 to this.

Brew another small 2 gallon batch and add it in when you transfer to the barrel. This way your barrel is full. Since you are aging, the extra week or 2 to make the smaller top-off batch should not set you back too far!

Thanks, this is exactly what I was thinking, that's alot I headroom for a 5 gallon batch. Much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back