Need help with heat source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sithspitt

Reaction score
Using a 15 gallon blichman as a mash tun. and also using a 7inch g e hotplate witch is very inconsistant with controlling temperature. isnt working for me. and are looking for a new heat source. anyone have any suggestions.

Is your problem with only being able to go electric, or just any other source? I love my Banjo turkey fryers, they work great. 55,000 BTU's, enough for my 8 gallon pots. I know they have some burners that approach 115,00 BTU's. That should be great for that 15 gal. monster. :D

So you've using a $10 burner with a $300 kettle?

Electric and propane are both viable options. There are several threads here that argue the merits of each.

Using a 15 gallon blichman as a mash tun. and also using a 7inch g e hotplate witch is very inconsistant with controlling temperature. isnt working for me. and are looking for a new heat source. anyone have any suggestions.

Do you have any insulation on the kettle? You may also want to do a search on "HERMS" systems.

Hay, thanks for the info. We have a propane burner for the boil pot, but we're looking for a way to keep the mash at a consent timp. We heat the water on a stove. To me, propane seems like a waist just to keep a steady timp.

I might look into a HERMS, as stated above, or a RIMS system then. There are quite a few ideas bouncing around on here, check out The Pol's, it was featured in BYO.

yep pretty stupid huh. still trying to upgrade to 10 gal. having a problem with the mash

Back