Maple Beer Recipe Reccomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions for an upcoming AG batch I am planning on. I am new to AG and have never done anything maple other than as a carbonation method with extract. I am planning on a simple 5 gallong batch and have 13.8lbs of fresh Canadian 2 row Barley from a farm in my area. So I would like to incorporate that somehow in this batch.

Now, when I was at a brewery in Picton(Barley Days) I was told that the master brewer adds his maple syrup into the fermenter 5 days prior with the yeast added to the maple syrup(or cherries) and then adds the wort after 5 days.

So I guess my main question is what ratio to use in this recipe. I was thinking something along the lines of:

7lbs of the 2Row Malted Barley
1lb Munich
1lb somthing else
x ammount of maple syrup
Utilising the method from above.

If you are in maple country, you could try to use sap instead of water. It won't add that many fermentables as this is only equal to about a pint of syrup, but it would be neat to try. We are only a couple of months from sap season!

Here is an awesome maple beer recipe using the all-grain method. The recipe was originally posted in "Brew Your Own" magazine 150 beer clones page 19. They also have it listed for extract with grain as well.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Clone
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.32 gal
Estimated OG: 1.082 SG
Estimated Color: 23.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 110 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.16 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.60 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.60 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.30 %
3.00 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops 42.8 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.66 lb Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM) Sugar 4.35 % (at knockout)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 18.13 qt of water at 174.0 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
Add maple syrup at knockout Recipe is from BYO 150 clones

Thanks guys, I've considered the maple sap but I want to go with the syrup since it is stronger(more expensive though). And thanks for the recipe Harley, I will somehow incorporate it with the Canadian Two Row I have.

Latest posts

Back