What do you drink when yer OUT of HB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
I dont have any homebrew ready, of course, but I want a beer. I have a case of Coors light Ive had since my wedding a few years ago. May chill it and drink a few of those. What do you drink if you are OUT of HB and just want a beer?

I brew wine and mead too. SO when the line runs low i can dup unto those and stretch it out.

I have been diggin left hand stout lately. I get into angry orchard hard cider Even bud when im mowing the lawn or wrenching on a car during the summer

I'd take those Coors Lights over a few threads and let them use 'em as targets then look for a local IPA.

Out of homebrew??? Why, that's just crazy talk. :drunk:

I make it a rule never to run out. Came close once, but managed to bring another batch online in just the nick of time. Since then, I picked up a couple more kegs and now make it a point to brew again as soon as one goes dry. With three kegs on tap and 3 to 5 more on reserve and ready to go at a moment's notice, running out of homebrew isn't something I worry about.

About the only time I drink anything other than homebrew is if I'm out, and on those occasions I always go with something from one of the local breweries, with about the only exception being a Negra Modelo when we hit our favorite Mexican restaurant.

GT, you're in Georgia so I would look at offerings from Red Brick and/or Sweetwater. If it's also available, Yazoo's Dos Perros is pretty amazing.

That's what I like, but I'll also buy offerings from BBC, New Belgium, etc.

Ranger IPA is a standby of mine. Also Sierra Neveda: Pale Ale, Torpedo, and when it was available, Hoptimum. But Good Lord, that Hoptimum was deceptive. (10% alcohol was hidden quite well...:drunk:)
Regular standby, Ranger for sure.

Maybe I should have clarified...I'm broke! Lol. If I spend money on beer, it is gonna be the unbrewed kind so I can brew it myself. I just figured since the coors was there...

I like Sierra Nevada torpedo. For two reasons. I can justify buying it cuz it tastes great and once those bottles are empty they clean up nice so I add them to my bottle inventory when i have a batch ready to be bottled

when I have to drink commercialy I like samuel adams,either the double bock or the wee heavy

Kennasaw here. I like Red brick's brown or a growler of Red Hare's chocolate porter. They are in Marietta just off Franklin rd. only kegs and some cans tho. In the winter it is 75% Left Handed brewing's Milk Stout(nitro if I can find it). I go 10% Terrapin's Moo Hoo. The rest is a crap shoot of trying new brews.

I kinda like the Sam Adams winter lager, When I'm back east I will drink Yuengling porter if I dont bring some HB on the road when I'm working.. Negro Modelo is pretty good also.

I've got 3 batches of HB which are just coming to time to drink. Now that I have my pipeline, I don't think I'll be without some HB on hand. While I've been waiting I've been drinking Doggy Style Pale Ale and because of the time of year, a lot of porters and stouts. Mostly Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

Ranger IPA is a standby of mine. Also Sierra Neveda: Pale Ale, Torpedo, and when it was available, Hoptimum. But Good Lord, that Hoptimum was deceptive. (10% alcohol was hidden quite well...:drunk:)
Regular standby, Ranger for sure.

I just tried Ranger for the first time last month, and I must say I'm quite impressed. It, SN, and Sam Adams are about the only really good beers that you can regularly get around here.

Little sumpin ale and Centenial IPA. I am not one to turn down a regular Mich or bud or any of the sort. I pretty much enjoy them all. I got snobbish but came back around.

SN Torpedo, Flying Dog Imperial Porter, or Ten Fidy. I gotta watch those Ten Fidy's. SWMBO gets p*ssed when I spend that much on a four pack.

Bell's, Founders, and some regional stuff like the Ale Asylum, Sprecher, and Lakefront.

The local store has a weekly special, a few cases they got a good deal on. You find our why. Some are great, some odd, some are OK for 1 bottle then you wonder what to do with the other five. (Cooking)

But it is never dull.

I usually get a bomber of elysian or a sixer of Deschutes when the lines run low. Occasionally I will get Sam Adams if I am sharing with company.

Well, I'll usually go for a 64oz bottle of Natty Light, Red White and Blue or Pabst Blue Ribbon if they got it. You know, if I should be so lucky.

Then I make sure I get one of those little brown paper bags, so I can wrap the bag around it but still not cover the mouth of the bottle. Then I walk up and down the sidewalk in the bad areas of town, yelling at cars as they drive by and smoking any cigarette butts I can find.

I drink SN, SN torpedo, and... Blue moon. Franziskaner gets honorable mention too. But I have been collecting high ABV beers and stashing them when I have the extra cash for times like when I am broke

Guinness is fantastic any day of the week, but I also enjoy the local brews, Devil's (Pale) Ale from San Tan and 8th Street Pale Ale from Four Peaks.

I am very new to brewing. I have my first brew ready to bottle in a few days and my second brew in the primary. I try to drink local because the big three and commercialized beers take away from that.

One thing I suggest of all home brewers is buy local. As I wait for my beers to finish, I have been drinking Troegs Hopback, Victory Headwaters, Penn Brewing, Yards, Sly Fox and various Yuengling products (Porter and Lord Chesterfield). Of course, Yuengling is a granddaddy her in PA. I did research and found at one time PA had a large amount of breweries that were lost after prohibition and WWII. Researching this made me want to homebrew.

I hate to be a preachy nutcase, but I try to support those local breweries. It keeps money in the state economy and fights the big guys. For eight plus months I only bought local (PA) beers and was turned on to a ton of neat brews. I have cheated a few times when I've gotten Magic Hat and Uinta products on sale. Anyhow, drink whatcha like. If you're making your own it's going to taste like gold soon.

LOVE me a Yuengling! I also like most of what Sweetwater makes (local brewery here in Atlanta).

My go to store bought is Black Butte or Deschutes obsidian stout.
If I see an interesting IPA I might pick that up.
The problem around here is lack of selection.
If I lived somewhere like Portland I might very well have a different go to beer.
I know I would be trolling for new beers if I had that selection.

I always have a decent selection of new beers on hand. I try to taste as many as I can, we'll call it market research. Most of these are of the the rare 22oz flavor though, so what I've been doing or the past few brews is brewing 12gal batches and bottling what doesn't fit in the keg. Works like a charm, especially now that I'm taking advantage of the free slave labor.

image-1849298150.jpg

They've been bottling 100% on their own for a month or so now. From sanitation to priming. All I do is run the capper when they run out of room on the table, and only because they're not strong enough on their own.

Enough bragging about it though. This has made it easy to not run out, get the family involved (the family that brews together stays together) and ensure that I always have a variety of homebrew on hand.

I'll usually grab something local to me in NC--Big Boss, Aviator, Lonerider. Or just a Sam Adams.

But if I'm in the situation where everything is leaning toward light beer, I'm not afraid to say it, but I'll throw down a few coors lights. I'm not above that.

I havent bought a case of beer in over a year, i've been home brewing for 2yrs now and have a pretty good pipeline, I counted 11 cases down the basement and 10 gallons in primary as of yesterday and ill be brewing 20 gallons tomorrow. The only time I drink commercial is when im out and it is usually something seasonal or local, I'm lucky here in Pa to have some really great local brewerys.

Back