Table sugar for priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboblitt

Reaction score
So I would like to bottle tonight but I only have table sugar. Do you think I would be safe using the same amount of table sugar as I would corn sugar to bottle?

Will it work? Yes.

Will it hurt? Probably not.

Would your beer benefit if you wait to bottle and get the "right stuff?" Probably. Depends on how long it's been in the fermenter.

Would a forum search have yielded an answer faster than me typing this? Definitely.

I've primed with both and measured by weight not volume.

It tastes the same. It carbonates the same. Its a lot cheaper and more convenient.

I would still use table sugar if I went back to bottling.

So I would like to bottle tonight but I only have table sugar. Do you think I would be safe using the same amount of table sugar as I would corn sugar to bottle?

"same amount" when measuring by weight (not volume), would be safe. Under normal circumstances one would use about 5% less sucrose by weight than dextrose because sucrose is more fermentable due to not retaining water weight.

Many of use prime with sucrose on purpose.

I use table sugar all the time to prime batches...if my beer sucks, it sure ain't because of the small amount of sugar used to prime.

Back