Founders Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameadrat

Reaction score
The solution to copying Founders Breakfast stout is in secondary fermentation
First I bottle ferment so if you keg you might have a deferent reaction than I have had. I am in Toledo and Home wine Supply in Dundee, Mi makes wort for sale for brewers to finish. I purchased an oatmeal stout from them for 40 plus yeast. It tested at 1058 OG. As expected it has no body because of the low OG. I racked off after 2 weeks, I was out with the flu for most of March so I didn't rack on time and busted my hydrometer. I'm guessing 1010 finish.

In secondary Firm I added 2 cups of boubon soaked medium toast french oak.
French oak adds a vanilla flavor to wine. I also added 1/3 lb of starbucks Cafe Vienna coffee beans. Whole beans no filtering needed. Saturday before last or about 10 days ago I bottled with 3/4lb corn sugar to a cup.

Last weekend and twice this week I 've shared this brew against bottles of founders breakfast stout. It is apparent that I used a better grade of coffee. It was in secondary from april to june. The results everyone said this was better than Founders because of the taste of the coffee.

While the alcohol content was a little lower, the coffee flavor was exceptional.

So round up your favorite Oatmeal stout recipe and try in secondary 2 cups of Medium toast french oak soaked in echo springs bourbon. Drain bourbon off before adding to secondary firm and 1/3 lb quality coffee beans(your favorite).

I just finish my house scottish ale (1096), I ran a parti-gyle and am going to do this to that brew only with Starbucks Arbian coffee. Sidenote my daughter works at starbucks and gets free coffee beans. Also with some french oak soaked bourbon. I am working on Founders Kentucky Bourbon Stout that is why the bourbon soaked oak. Will report on the results of this experiment as well. Beer me.

I'm a member at founders and yes, it sounds like you are matching their process pretty close.

From what I understand, Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast stout(oatmeal stout + coffee) and Kentucky Breakfast stout (breakfast stout + aged in Kentucky burbon barrels for atleast a year) are all related (Oatmeal stout being the base).

Which Breakfast stout are you comparing with, what was released this winter? I personaly thought it was a bit harsh this year but after mixing with some oatmeal I hear it was better.

Do you have the quantities of malt/type and ammount of hops used from that kit you purchased in Dundee?

I'm so looking forward to founders fest this saturday, they are advertising KBS on tap for the party!

I have been using the breakfast stout we got like last november before the new building move for which I was in attendance. The oatmeal stout I purchased was whole grain wort from Dundee. They make about 2 65 gallon batches from which they sell 16 pails that purchaser has to provide. Its a quick way to get brewing if you dont have the time.
Although the younger generation that has taken over makes better hop head beers than stouts. I am working on the Kentucky bourbon side. Problem is used barrels dont have much oak flavor left in them. I will know in about 60 days when the pati-gyle I racked today gets bottle ready.

I talked to one of the brewers at Goose Island recently and he said they age in 12 year old barrels for 3-4 months.

Back