8 year old yeast experiment... Any tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtheroux

Reaction score
Pretty clear... Just for fun I wanna make a starter out of old yeast... And tips like temp, stir plate for ?hrs, yeast nutrient, wort size, OG... Thanx guys

GT

Ok, I'll take the bait. IF there are any yeast there, you'll want to bring them along slowly. I wouldn't worry too much about yeast nutrient to begin with, a lot of that is often times dead yeast which you might have plenty of. I'd also start with a low volume, maybe toss it in 100ml of wort, and slowly work up to larger amounts (100ml -> 250ml -> 1L, etc.). Once you start stepping them up, you might need some yeast nutrient to keep them going. You should be able to tell if you are getting any growth (bubbles, change in gravity, yeast cake, etc.).

All this being said, part of me hopes you aren't actually planning on using this in a beer, and another part of me kinda hopes you do :). I know I wouldn't use it, but I can't ever stand in the way of an experiment (so long as I'm not the one paying for it!).

As long as you step it up slowly, I would give it a whirl in a beer.

Ever read about the guy who is brewing beer from yeast extracted from a 45 million year old fossilized piece of amber?

comparatively, I think your 8 year old yeast should be a cakewalk.

right on guys... i have 18 more packs of this stuff... i started a 1.03 OG batch yesterday but it was 500 ml... but got many more packs and flasks... would you guys use a stir plate at any time??? I was thinking about the first 24 hrs, but heard that was really good for liquid yeast, not dry. I might try one on a plate and one off.

And yes i will make a couple 1G batch in a growler if i can enough yeast... lol... Im just working on my skills of rescuing small amounts of yeast... Will be trying to rescue a Trappist Westvleteren 12 yeast cake in the near future..

Thank you guys again, i will keep you guys informed about how it goes...lol... i know alot of guys are thinking this is pure retard-ness... but its all for learning, i know i wont get a very good beer in the end

right on guys... i have 18 more packs of this stuff... i started a 1.03 OG batch yesterday but it was 500 ml... but got many more packs and flasks... would you guys use a stir plate at any time??? I was thinking about the first 24 hrs, but heard that was really good for liquid yeast, not dry. I might try one on a plate and one off.

And yes i will make a couple 1G batch in a growler if i can enough yeast... lol... Im just working on my skills of rescuing small amounts of yeast... Will be trying to rescue a Trappist Westvleteren 12 yeast cake in the near future..

Thank you guys again, i will keep you guys informed about how it goes...lol... i know alot of guys are thinking this is pure retard-ness... but its all for learning, i know i wont get a very good beer in the end

Just as an FYI, Westvleteren gets yeast from Westmalle and the Westmalle strain is available from both White Labs and Wyeast.

Just as an FYI, Westvleteren gets yeast from Westmalle and the Westmalle strain is available from both White Labs and Wyeast.

No ****, well i guess i need to make up another excuse in why i want to do this.... ummm... its the mad scientist in me :fro:...lol

Thanks for that info, might just have to harvest one batch. Buy a yeast... 2.5 gallon batch each side by side and see what happens... This isnt all about drinking the beer any more.... anybody else get me same problem

I think it will make beer----
At risk of being sworn out: I know 8 year old no-name dry yeast will make great nutrient for good yeast! Mail me some! (hides for cover).

cheers & good luck!

Holy ****... It fermenting more then any starter I've ever made... In 24 hrs... How the he'll does anybody explain this.. Bizzar...

It looks like somebodys shaking it around... And such a small starter

Holy ****... It fermenting more then any starter I've ever made... In 24 hrs... How the he'll does anybody explain this.. Bizzar...

It looks like somebodys shaking it around... And such a small starter

Zombie yeast! now we are all going to die, I always wondered how the zombie Apocalypse would start.... a simple yeast infection. :(

Read all about it HERE!

Interesting Article. Funny how the brewer forgot why it would exhibit both ale (floating) and lager (cold sunk) characteristics.... Modern yeast strains have been 'seperated' through use. The Lager yeast that worked well after the lagering was used in the next batch selecting for the cold characteristic and the opposite for the ale...
But the Amber yeast isn't seperated because 45 million years ago both charachteristics were in the yeast and of advantage - heck same could be said of modern yeast until a few centuries ago.

Back