First Brew Day Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
I'm doing the Brewer's Best American Amber today.

The directions call for a 2.5 gal partial boil. Can I do a full boil? How will I need to adjust my hop schedule to account for that?

If I do decide on a full boil, should I steep the grain bag in just a couple of gallons, then add it to the water for the full boil, or should I steep the grain in the full amount of boil water? Or is that 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other?

It came with an 8 oz. canister of LD Carlson Easy Clean No-rinse Cleanser. Is this sanitizer? PBW? Or do I need to bleach everything first then use the No-rinse?

It came with an 11g packet of Danstar dry Nottingham yeast. Should I go ahead and get a second packet of Nottingham? Save one in case the kit packet doesn't take off, or get a second and pitch both?

Thanks.

Gotta go re-fill the propane, then it's time to cook!

It's your beer so of course you can do a full boil. I believe it's about 75% of the hops but someone needs to confirm that.

I would steep in a small amount of water. I read in BYO years ago to steep small, boil big. Other than tannin release I can't remember the science behind it.

Easy clean is not a FDA approved sanitizer but it will work.

One packet of Nottingham will do the job nicely.

A full boil will affect your hop utilization. It will extract more bitterness.

Use one of the online calculators to figure out your IBUs.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/

The easy clean is a cleanser not a sanitizer. Like oxyclean. You need a no rinse sanitizer like iodophor or starsan. If you use bleach you need to be sure to rinse well with some boiled/cooled water.

One package will be fine. Two will be over pitching. Ferment on the cooler side as Nottingham will attenuate very well and give you a nice clean finish. 65-67 is a good target. It will ferment fairly clean up to 72 in my experience.

So far so good. Made it through the hot break without a boil-over, first hopping complete. Final hopping in about 10 minutes, then into the ice bath.

Although I'm a bit POd at Bayou Classic. This pot was supposedly 30 qts. It's not. 28 fills it to the brim. So a 6.5 gal boil was out of the question. Solution: 5 gal boil with 2 gal of pre-boiled water waiting on the stove for addition in the fermenter.

Back