Peculiar sound coming from Laptop.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My laptop has begun, repeatedly, making this unfamiliar sound as if a gnome is inside it and tapping a glass marble on a wooden counter top.

Paddadap.

Paddadap.

Paddadap.

Is this a indication that the hard drive is giving up?

Just in case, I have begun to create a current backup to my USB drive of all important files.

good choice, on backing up your info.

mine did the same thing , than one morning it would not turn on said something about install proper media in drive,

bought a new HD, well bought a portable usb drive and stole the HD out of it,it was cheaper and reinstalled Windows

works great, now

With electronics, I find that a big sledge hammer makes all those noises go away! :drunk:

Hmmmm.

"I dunno how that huge flattening got there huney! Did you drop it? Or worse, did the baby get hold of it? You know how he is ALWAYS wanting to 'pway komputer'"

To be honest, I'll be glad to see this 4 year old POS go away. It's slow. The CD/DVD drive failed about 2 year ago. It's never seen a lap. Adn it's a PITA to upgrade.

A couple year ago I wanted to max out the SDRAM (DDRAM?) only to find out I would have to surgically remove the keyboard to install the second gig of memory. WTF?

Then, when the internal writer failed I was "informed" that the only compatible replacement would come from HP for a mere $400. Yeah. I went for the outboard Sony Universal instead and, honestly, I have never used it.

Bought the external USB HD for home video backups of the baby. Then I got a Sony DVD player burner that I could hook teh camera to directly so, I have never used this laptop for home vids either.

Mebe I can follow a lead here. Get a decent desktop to replace this POC. Buy another cheap external HD, and replace the internal drive and dedicate this one to brewing.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Okay. New question.

When I get my new desktop pc, is it a simple matter of connecting the new pc and old laptop via ethernet and setting them up as a pier-to-pier (?) network so that I can x-fer all the software from one to the other (and hoping the HD hold on long enough to do it)?

The only moving parts in a typical laptop will be the disk and the fan. I would bet the disk is failing.

I was at a pron site- picked up a virus that played this awful free band radio. took 2 days to figure out how to get rid of it. .

Try your Go-Back feature if you have it. I went back a week, no problem. Then run a full scan, and stop looking at dirty pron...
:D

Does your laptop boot up?

The bouncing marble sound typically = physically damaged hard drive.
Which typically means whatever was on it is gone.

You can't transfer "software" from one computer to another, only data files.
When you install software, files get placed all over the place. Simply moving
a directory to another computer in no way insures the program will work.

Very few programs will work after moving them this way.

Ah well. It was worth a try to ask.

I did end up getting a new PC. A HP Pavillion Elite desktop with AMD Phenom Quad core processor. I opted to max out the RAm too.

I hate to say it but, I actually like Windows Vista. So far.

Ah well. It was worth a try to ask.

I did end up getting a new PC. A HP Pavillion Elite desktop with AMD Phenom Quad core processor. I opted to max out the RAm too.

I hate to say it but, I actually like Windows Vista. So far.

You are one of the few - stand by for a NEW version of Windoze. Vista is to XP as ME was to 98/NT/2000

You will have a new one to love and hate all at once. Thank you Micro$oft.

BTW, you know what Bill Gates wife said to him on their wedding night right?
"Now I see why you call it Microsoft"
-Me

"Now I see why you call it Microsoft"

Hahaha.

Microsoft is so frustrating. I'm going to continue to use XP until I am forced
by software manufacturers to switch to Vista. Vista is nice and all, but it's
choc full of frustrating "WTF" problems.

For instance, the sleep feature doesn't work on many installs. It simply goes
to sleep and wont wake up. Requires hard restart to bring OS back up.

I mean come on. That's a SIMPLE feature that EVERYONE is going to use.

The culprit? USB drivers on the computer Vista was SHIPPED with. Give me a
break. And don't get me started on Vista in a work environment.

Well, I may be beginning to see this too.

I hit the sleep button and walked away. Next thing I know it's running some sort of grey screen system check. Eventually it says that it cannot resolve the problem but, when I read through the screens I don;t see where it says what the problem was. Finally, I start the computer back up and I have lost my desktop background and my internet connection.

WTF?

Maybe I did something wrong. The last thing I tried to do was set-up a ad-hoc network and I could not get the computers to recognize each other.

At least I will have the weekend to figure it out. Right? :drunk:

Ironically, after x-ferring everything I could to the new computer. I stripped the laptop of software I won't need to use on it. And now it has stopped making that sound. Ha! I ran a check disk and it came back clean. Oh Well. At least this new computer feels fast, for now.

If U need a new HD let me know I have a crap load of em just pay the ship and I will send ya a couple. I am a Computer tech / Admin at a school.

Run checkdisk every now and then.

It will physically sweep the disc, flagging the bad sectors so that
your HD won't try to write to them.

Every hard drive has bad sectors/read errors. It's all about preventative
maintenance. Typically that marble sound is the read head banging against
the platter. But if you can even boot to the drive, then it's likely something
else entirely.

I would turn the sleep option off entirely in Vista and simply leave my
computer on and turn the monitor off, or shut down the entire system.

Back