Dry Hop with Saaz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckMoney

Reaction score
This is the brew that I just concocted on Saturday, I was planning on Dry Hopping with 1.00 oz of Cascade whole leaf, but realized that I didn't have anymore Cascade left in my fridge. I do however have about 1.50 -1.75 oz of some Saaz pellets. I understand to get the same dry hopping effect I'll have to add more of the Saaz (which I was planning on anyways) but I was wondering how will the flavor compare to dry hopping with the cascades?

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs 0.6 oz John Bull Maris Otter Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 87.6 %
1 lbs Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 12.4 %
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (60 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
5.00 gal Pittsburgh, PA Water
1 Pkgs California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051) Yeast-Ale

I think the Saaz will be completely lost. It is a very "mild and pleasant" hop and using it in an IPA is (IMHO) a waste. Since you don't need to dry hop of 2-3 weeks, why not order some Cascade or just use some more Perle?

Dont waste the saaz when you have that much cascade in there. Save the sazz for soemthing sexy, like a good Czech pils or something.

I think the Saaz will be completely lost. It is a very "mild and pleasant" hop and using it in an IPA is (IMHO) a waste. Since you don't need to dry hop of 2-3 weeks, why not order some Cascade or just use some more Perle?

Thanks for your help. It's about a 40 min drive to my homebrew store and was trying to avoid it due to the cost in gas (and I told myself the next time I buy anything at the homebrew store, I'm buying another carboy for some apfelwein/assorted fruit-beer concoctions), but now that you put it this way I understand. I don't really plan on making this an IPA considering I'm trying to keep my IBU's below 40, however still trying to get a decently hoppy flavor (Hence why I thought dry hopping with the saaz might be ok). Right now according to beersmith, I'm at 33.8 IBU, which IMO is perfect for me, however I think that the flavor could still have a little more hop edge on it.

Back