Quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daburban

Reaction score
I can't remember how serious i should be about keeping sunlight away from my fermenting carboys. I'm using glass for the first time so i'm more worried about it. Thanks!

It's more serious than a brain tumor, in homebrew terms.

Don't put fermenting or fermented beer in sunlight. Quickest way to ruin it.

keeping them in a room that doesn't get direct sunlight.
pull the curtains.
put thick towels over them (but not dark towels which will heat up in the sunlight)

Daburban said:
It took some dull Vermont light today but i'll cover her up now. What do you recommend to block out sunlight?
Throw a blanket over it. Anything to keep the hops from getting skunked. Unless you're going for a St. Pauli Girl clone. :D

Daburban said:
It took some dull Vermont light today but i'll cover her up now. What do you recommend to block out sunlight?

Black t-shirt, or keep it in a closet or something like that. It doesn't have to be a zero photon environment, but definitely reduce as much light hitting it as possible...

Daburban said:
I use the boxes that my carboys originally came in. Cut out the bottom and a hole in the top for the airlock.

I use black garbage bags to cover my carboys. I ferment in a place that doesn't see much light anyway, but you can't be too safe.

Back